100 Women in Congress: It’s About Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Last Tuesday night marked a historic moment in our nation: for the first time ever in American history, there is a triple digit number of women in congress. Whether you voted red, blue, or anything in between, this is a significant stride for women in politics.

The surge in congressional women can be largely traced back to EMILY’s list, a political action campaign dedicated to electing pro-choice Democratic women founded in 1985. Since their founding, over 100 women have been elected to the House, 19 to the Senate, 10 to governors’ seats, and hundreds more to local and state offices. EMILY’s list has also become one of the largest financial resources for minority women seeking election to federal offices. 

Democrat Alma Adams of North Carolina won a special election in the 12th congressional district to replace Representative Mel Watt. Because it is a special election, Adams will not have to wait until January to begin her term, making it the first time congress has had 100 women simultaneously serving.

The 113th Congress is unique in other ways too. Elise Stefanik, a Republican from New York, defeated Aaron Woolf in the 21st Congressional district. The 30 year-old is now the youngest woman ever elected to Congress. The record was previously held by 31 year-old Elizabeth Holtzman, a Democrat also from New York elected in 1973. The largest number of male and female Latinos will also serve in the House this term, while the number of African-Americans in Congress will increase from 36 to 43. 

However, this may be a temporary historical event. After all of the votes are counted and the new congress is sworn in come January, the number may fall back below triple digits. Even if the number does decrease, it will not take away from the importance of this event and its future implications to come.

Photo credits: 1 2 3 4

Kari is currently a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs and a contributing writer to Her Campus American. She enjoys trolling tinder, chocolate chip pancakes, and Keeping Up with Kardashians.