10 Most Anticipated Movies of 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

2014 has come and gone, leaving dozens of fantastic movies in its wake. Now, it’s time to look forward in 2015 and check out some of the great movies slated to be released in the next ten months. Here’s my ten most anticipated movies of the year, in no particular order.

Magic Mike XXL

Director: Gregory Jacobs

Starring: Channing Tatum, Matt Bomer, Amber Heard

This one’s kind of self explanatory. Even though Matthew McConaughey won’t be in this one, if it has half of the cool cinematography, dance numbers and naked men of the original, it’ll be pretty good.

Director: Anton Corbijn

Starring: Robert Pattinson, Dane DeHaan

This biopic stars DeHaan as James Dean and Pattinson as photographer Dennis Stock, as Stock is on assignment photographing Dean for Life magazine about a year before the star’s death. It got lukewarm reviews after premiering at the Berlin film festival, but Corbijn’s previous biopic Control, about Joy Division lead singer Ian Curtis, was so good that I’m excited anyway.

Suffragette

Director: Sarah Gavron

Starring: Carey Mulligan, Helena Bonham Carter, Meryl Streep

A film starring these three as turn of the century suffragettes can’t really go wrong in my opinion. Add a female director, and I’m sold.

Trainwreck

Director: Judd Apatow

Starring: Amy Schumer, Bill Hader, Tilda Swinton

To repeat for emphasis: a Judd Apatow movie starring Amy Schumer with Queen Mother Tilda Swinton in a supporting role. Plus, Bill Hader is the romantic lead and LeBron James, as himself, is his best friend. It doesn’t get any better than that. Watch some great sketches from Schumer’s Comedy Central show as you count down the seconds.

The Death and Life of John F. Donovan

Director: Xavier Dolan

Starring: Kit Harrington, Jessica Chastain, Kathy Bates

This will be Dolan’s first English-language movie after five French-Canadian films, including last year’s Cannes favorite Mommy. Game of Thrones’ Kit Harrington stars as an actor facing scandal when his correspondence with an 11-year-old is exposed. I have varying opinions on Dolan’s previous works, but this is guaranteed to be at least worth watching, if not excellent.

Ricki and the Flash

Director: Jonathan Demme

Starring: Meryl Streep, Mamie Gummer, Sebastian Stan

Meryl Streep stars as a famous rock star attempting to reconnect with her estranged family. Like several of the films on this list, it’s pretty self-explanatory. Streep will likely receive her 20th Oscar nomination for it, and rightfully so.

The Hateful Eight

Director: Quentin Tarantino

Starring: Samuel L. Jackson, Bruce Dern, Tim Roth

This film almost didn’t happen after the script was leaked last year, but Tarantino recently decided to forge ahead anyway. Out of film-loving ethics I didn’t read the script when it leaked, so all I know about it is that it is set shortly after the Civil War, when eight westerners try to seek refuge during a blizzard.

Silence

Director: Martin Scorcese

Starring: Andrew Garfield, Liam Neeson, Adam Driver

This may or may not actually be released in 2016, but I’m so excited for it that I’ll include it either way. Starring my pretend boyfriend Andrew Garfield, it follows two priests attempting to spread Christianity in Japan. The subject matter could be heavy handed or even flat out offensive (e.g.,The Flowers of War) but I trust Scorcese to do it well.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Director: J.J. Abrams

Starring: John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Oscar Isaac

Full disclosure: I’ve only seen the original three Star Wars movies, and I’m not an obsessive fan by any means. Still, I’m intrigued by the casting and trailer for this new sequel. I can’t say whether or not it will live up to the hype, but I’m excited to see what Boyega brings to the series after his fantastic breakout performance in Attack the Block.

La La Land

Director: Damien Chazelle

Starring: Miles Teller, Emma Watson

I’ve been eagerly waiting Chazelle’s next project ever since seeing his last, Whiplash, in December (side note: if you haven’t seen Whiplash yet, GO SEE IT.) This film seems doubly interesting as it will be a musical, centering on a struggling young couple in LA (played by Teller and Watson.)

Get the popcorn ready because 2015 in the box office is about to be the best year yet!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4