The UAlbany Party Weekend Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Party weekends, at most, if not at every college, tend to be some of the most anticipated events of the school year. Here at UAlbany, it’s no different with Homecoming, Pretty Nasty, Parkfest, or any weekend with a fashion show. One thing that’s for sure is that majority of the parties here don’t disappoint. But sometimes, it can get a bit overwhelming with all the things to do. So I’ve decided to create a mini-survival guide with tips on what to do and what not to do during a UAlbany party weekend:

1.  Most big parties drop their flyers weeks in advance, so make sure to get your ticket ASAP. In some cases, the party can be so popular, that you actually have to ‘camp out’ in front of your computer just so you can be one of the first to buy them.

2. BEWARE OF TICKET RESELLERS! There’s always someone trying to make a quick buck off of a party (thanks, Capitalism! *sarcasm intended*). Though it’s possible that you can luck out with some people, there’s always that person who tries to sell the same ticket to five people and they all buy it. Don’t be that person.

3. Social media is the best way to get more information. Here at UAlbany, we use the GroupMe app and have a huge chat that consists of promoting events, parties, businesses, etc. (and drama, but that’s a story for another time). There’s also Instagram and Snapchat that help things spread like wildfire.

4. Plan your weekend accordingly — I cannot stress this enough. Talk to your friends and figure out what you all want to do that weekend. This includes if you’re inviting your friends from home to come up. Make sure EVERYBODY has their tickets and things in order.

5. DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE. You’re either going to take a loss with a reseller or be home bored while everyone is enjoying themselves. These parties sell out and for good reason too.

6. Drink responsibly — this one’s a given, but you can never be too sure. Make sure you stay hydrated throughout the day if you plan on drinking, and eat something solid. Otherwise you might end up becoming that person. Y’know, that one who clearly had too much to drink and is all over the place. Although it happens to almost everyone at some point, don’t become that person.

7. Hangovers — If you do by chance end up being that person (or didn’t and just wake up with one), drink plenty of water and Gatorade/Powerade and eat starchy foods (ex: rice, pasta, bread). Your body will thank you for it.

8. Make sure you at least have one person to travel back to campus with. It’s late, and if you don’t have a ride, you always want to make sure you have some kind of buddy system.

9. No means no — enough said.

10. Enjoy yourself! Don’t overthink the party, just have fun with your friends and be safe while doing so. Just remember to follow what I said above (not necessarily in that order), and you’ll definitely have a great time.