alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fighting the Valentines Day Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

It’s that time of the year again. Time to get ready for the countless Instagram, Twitter and Facebook pictures of all the couples cuddled up, dinner dates, roses, and giant teddy bears to flood our feed. For some, this is an exciting time to shower their loved one with gifts and affection, but for others, this is a day filled with constant reminders of their loneliness.

Here are some tips to get through Valentine’s Day if you’re feeling down about not having that special someone!

1. Plan a fun night with some friends.

Just because you don’t have a Valentine does not mean you can’t enjoy your night. Call some friends who are going through those Valentine’s Day blues and plan a fun night. Go to the movies, go to dinner, karaoke, even a small party in the house – most important thing is to have fun. Going out with a group of people you have a good time with will ensure a night of good vibes. You never know, you can also meet new people that night with the same attitude as you for the night!

2. Treat Yourself.

Make your favorite breakfast in the morning, light a candle and run a bath and put on your favorite outfit or shoes that never fails to make you feel amazing. By the halfway mark of your day, I guarantee you will be feeling great. You’ll notice an extra pep in your step, strut in your walk and smile on your face that you didn’t think would be there the night before while laying in bed dreading the arrival of Valentine’s Day. Adding a little TLC to the start of your day even if you’re feeling down will do you justice. You will go from pouting to smiling without you even realizing. Feeling great starts from the inside, but it doesn’t hurt to put on a great dress to give yourself a little push, too!

3. Relax!

Even though it doesn’t feel like it, you aren’t the only one without a special someone for Valentine’s Day so remind yourself that it is okay to be single. Valentine’s Day is one day to confess and show your love but it isn’t the only. Don’t be too awed by the couples you see all over social media! They may seem like they have a great relationship on this day for love, but there are still 364 days of a relationship to deal with your partner. So, take your time and you will find love when it is time and they’ll shower you with love all year around!