What To Wear This Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

For all of us who are headed off on a much needed vacation after finals week during winter break, we all have one thing in common: We’ve been saving our money for our trip. This extra money will come in handy for eating out, buying souvenirs for friends and family, and even having a little fun at the bar with some new friends. But with all that money going towards a winter break you will never forget, is it possible to look sylish without spending too much money? Definitely! Here are some fashionable and affordable looks for your winter break whether you spend it on the beach or hitting the slopes!

From left to right:

Beach Bag: A beach bag if a must for anyone spending time on the beach. Not only is a beach bag fashionable, it can carry everything that you will need for the day; anything from a towel and sunscreen to your favorite book and a cute cover-up. Many beach bags also have hidden pockets to hold your valuables while you enjoy your time in the sun. (Sun & Sand Braided Handle Straw Bag, $20lespommettes.com)

Hat: Want a nap in the sun without receiving a gift of coon eyes? A large hat is just the thing you need. Not only does it protect your scalp, but it also gives your face some shade while you take in some sleep on the beach. (Os Floppy Hat, $15 – bakersshoes.com)

Sandals: One of my favorite things to do at the beach is kicking off my shoes as soon as I get there. These sandals are perfect for just that occasion. Your feet mold into the shoe for an always perfect fit. Not only are these shoes comfortable, they are also fashionable and will go with many outfit selections. I wore these Birkenstock thong sandals every chance I got until they broke my freshman year, but they are still my favorite shoes to date! (Birkenstock Gizeh Cortina, $40infinityshoes.com)

Swimsuit: You won’t be able to resist jumping into the ocean wearing this swim suit! Diane von Furstenberg makes beautiful swimsuits that won’t put a dent in your budget. This particular swimsuit is my all-time favorite. I have proudly worn this swimsuit for the last year and not only is it comfortable, it is also very flattering. This particular swimsuit comes in both blue and yellow and is sure to make a scene on the beach. (Diane von Furstenberg Jane Bikini, $69barneys.com)

Sundress: Every girl needs a cute, flowy dress for vacation, even if you don’t wear it on the beach. This Witchery brand summer dress is perfect for both hanging out on the beach or going out to dinner with your family. This dress comes in both orange and blue, has adjustable straps and is 100% cotton for an overall comfortable fit. (Beach Sun Dress, $50witchery.com.au)

Coat: When you’re out coat shopping, how often do you find that whatever seems comfortable doesn’t seem fashionable? If this problem seems familiar, look no further! This coat has a fits close to the body, making sure you stay warm in those low temperatures and gives a pop of color to a typically neutral-color season. (Warehouse Loves Coat, $80 warehouse.co.uk)

Boots: Looking to keep your feet warm and your feet looking trendy? UGG boots are definitely the choice for you! UGG’s tend to be a bit pricy, but they are well worth it. I’ve owned the same pair of UGG’s for the last five years and have suffered through snowstorms in Iowa before making the big move to Alabama. Hands down, they’re the most comfortable boots your feet will ever find. (UGG Australia Classic Short Boots,$275uggaustralia.com)

Hat: Want a hat that covers your ears without looking like you have a marshmallow on the top of your head? Look into getting one of these magnificent creations. Beanies can be worn multiple ways and are useful for covering up a bad hair day or keeping your ears nice and toasty after an afternoon spent sledding. (Origin Beanie, $30allsaints.com)

Gloves: When you’re out in the cold for more than a few minutes, one of the first things to start feeling numb are your hands. With these gloves, you won’t need to worry about it. Leather gloves already make a fashion statement, and with these gloves you will be both fashionable and comfortable. The gloves are lined with cashmere, and you’ll never want to take them off once you’ve put them on! (John W. Nordstrom Cashmere Lined Leather Gloves in Black $70- nordstrom.com)

Scarf: Do you get tired of your scarf becoming too tight or getting stuck around your neck? With this scarf, you won’t need to worry. This eternity scarf forms around your neck in a circle, giving you a comfortable amount of space to breathe without letting your neck get cold. Not only will this scarf keep your neck warm on those cold winter days, it is also extremely affordable. And the best part? It comes in multiple colors, so you can easily match this with any coat you wear! (Knit Eternity Scarf $11- wetseal.com)

Jessica Johnson is a senior at The University of Alabama double majoring in English Studies and Communication Studies while minoring in Creative Writing. Avid reader, writer and one-man band, Jessica is always working on a project of some sort. After spending summer 2011 interning with Atlanta's Q100 morning radio show (and waking up at 3:30am to dress for work) she has a new respect for early birds. When not playing with her three rescued mutts, you'll find her at Gallettes sippin' on a Yellow Hammer screaming ROLL TIDE ROLL!!