Three (Slightly) Gourmet Recipes On A Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

We all know how difficult it is to stay on a budget in college. The illusion of eating healthy and consciously while attempting to stay within a grocery allowance quickly fades after the first few grocery trips. A few impulse buys of Ben and Jerry’s and Oreos and pretty soon your future is filled with Instant Ramen and TV dinners. Step away from the generic popcorn and frozen pizza. Here are three tried and true recipes to spice up your midnight binges.

Gourmet Spaghettios

What you’ll need!

-1 can of Spaghettios (original flavor, meatballs for preference)

-2 slices of American cheese

-Oregano

-Parmesan

Put a saucepan on the stovetop on a low simmer. Add in your can of Spaghettios and wait for them to heat up, stirring occasionally. After the trademark red sauce is bubbling softly, tear your American cheese into fourths, and stir in each piece. After the cheese has dissolved, your Spaghettios should now be a beautiful soft orange color. Serve in bowls and garnish with parmesan and oregano.

*If you’re working with a microwave, heat in increments of 30 seconds, adding in the cheese until it’s fully melted. Be sure to stir each time you remove your bowl from the microwave!*

Sriracha Ramen

What you’ll need!

-One packet of Instant Ramen (Chicken flavor)

-Sriracha sauce

This one’s simple! Make your ramen as you usually do: microwave, stovetop, whichever you prefer! It’s easy to garnish with a splash of Sriracha for a spicy kick.

*For an added blast of flavor, throw in some frozen veggies and soy sauce to mix things up! Ramen will never be the same again.* 

Cream Cheese Chips and Salsa

What you’ll need!

-A block of cream cheese (plain)

-Traditional restaurant style salsa (select your favorite brand)

-Tortilla chips (scoops work best)

For a delicious quick and easy snack (or dinner) mix together half a block of cream cheese with a healthy dose of chunky restaurant salsa. The combination of creamy and tangy makes for a surprisingly delicious treat. Trust me, you’ll never want to eat regular salsa again!

For when your wallet’s stretched thin and your tastebuds are just worn out, try one of these weird but delicious recipes. Happy cooking, collegiettes!

Sarah is from Indianapolis, Indiana and is currently studying Telecommunications and Film at the University of Alabama. Along with her broadcasting major, she is also working towards a creative writing minor. She enjoys writing to her friends back home, caring for her hamster named Pasta, dancing around to Ellie Goulding and cultivating her cacti garden! In her spare time, Sarah can be found in the library with her head in a book or on the quad petting dogs.
Alabama Contributor