There’s No Place like Home!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

It’s 2012 and that means spring semester is here! It brings new classes, new opportunities, and the last few months living in a dorm, or the expiration of a lease. If you haven’t started thinking about your living arrangements for next fall, it’s time for you to start! If you want to live off campus, it’s best for you to sign a lease for the fall as soon as possible. You want to be able to find the right apartment or home for you before they’re all taken. But don’t stress and worry; you have time to find the right place for you! I understand how stressful it can be to start looking for a place to live. There are so many different places to look and so many different real estate agents to consider, but it’s good to look at all your options and figure out where your new home could be. By assessing your options, figuring out what to do will be a breeze.

Before you begin your search, there are several questions you need to answer. How many people do you want to live with? What’s your price range? What’s your roommates’ price range? Knowing how much everyone is willing to spend should be the first thing on your list. The second should be location. Would you like to be walking distance or off campus? Also, would you like your utilities to be included in rent?  If that’s not an option, how much would bills usually run a month? Does the apartment complex allow pets? There are so many questions and concerns when it comes to looking for an apartment. Thinking through each question is very important! Image: Poolside at The Woodlands of Tuscaloosa

When you know your price range and the details about an apartment that are important to you, it’s time to look for a place to live! Tuscaloosa has several real estate agents that can help you find the right house or apartment. Some real estate agencies work with the University, so they offer a utilities package. This package includes water, electricity, heat and AC, and all other utilities in the monthly rent payment, so you only have to pay one bill. Properties in Tuscaloosa that offer this option include: Sealy Realty, Landmark Properties (which owns The Retreat and The Woodlands of Tuscaloosa), Campus Way, University Downs, and Sterling Crimson. Some of these places also offer a furniture packages, as well.
[pagebreak]
The Retreat at Lake Tamaha is less than two miles away from the University and it overlooks Lake Tamaha off of Jack Warner Parkway. The Retreat offers cottages with of 2-4 bedrooms, a living room, dining area, kitchen, washer and dryer, private bathrooms and walk-in closets.

The Woodlands of Tuscaloosa is an apartment complex that offers many of the same amenities as The Retreat. Both include a clubhouse with a pool, theatre, fitness center, and gaming rooms. The Woodlands is located on Hargrove Road behind Target. The rent for both The Retreat and Woodlands of Tuscaloosa ranges between $500 and $800 per bedroom a month. Image: one of the streets inside The Retreat at Lake Tamaha
Campus Way is located on Helen Keller Road. These apartments come with furniture and rent can run as little as $430 a month.
University Downs is located right off of 15th Street and costs anywhere between $500-$700 per person.
Sterling Crimson is an apartment complex located on 17th Street, and rent ranges between $600 and $800 per bedroom a month. More details about these apartments can be found on their websites, and more apartmentsthat include the utilities package can be found at www.sealyrealty.com.

There are several other realty agencies in Tuscaloosa that can help you.  One agency is College Station Properties, which boasts that all of their properties are within walking distance of UA’s campus. Other realty companies in Tuscaloosa include H.A. Edwards Realty and Rumsey Realty where you can find either an apartment or house for rent. However, if you’re strictly looking for a house, Campus Properties and Delview Properties can help you find a house for you and your roommates in your price range on or off campus.
[pagebreak]
These are just several realties that would be useful in finding a place to live, but there are also other ways to go about finding an apartment. The University of Alabama has researched and approved almost 200 apartments in the Tuscaloosa area. These apartments have been stamped with the University’s Crimson Choice Badge. The University has given apartments this badge after accessing the safeness of the area around the apartment and the apartment itself. To look at all of the apartments that are approved by the University, visit www.crimsonchoice.ua.edu/pages/properties.html.  

There are many apartments in Tuscaloosa and one waiting to become your next home! Remember to know your price range, how far from campus you would like to be and all the little details of utilities, pets, and deposits. Using all this information will help you find the perfect home!  
List of websites for Realties
Campus Properties: www.uacampusproperties.com
College Station: www.collegestationproperties.com
Delview:  www.delview.com
H.A. Edwards: www.haedwards.com
Rumsey:  www.rumseyproperties.com
Sealy: www.sealyrealty.com.
Crimson Choice: www.crimsonchoice.ua.edu/pages/properties.html

Images: The Woodlands of Tuscaloosa, The Retreat at Lake Tamaha, Crimson Choice a project of the University of Alabama

Jessica Johnson is a senior at The University of Alabama double majoring in English Studies and Communication Studies while minoring in Creative Writing. Avid reader, writer and one-man band, Jessica is always working on a project of some sort. After spending summer 2011 interning with Atlanta's Q100 morning radio show (and waking up at 3:30am to dress for work) she has a new respect for early birds. When not playing with her three rescued mutts, you'll find her at Gallettes sippin' on a Yellow Hammer screaming ROLL TIDE ROLL!!