I’m an English Major Because of My STEM Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Earlier this semester, I wrote a piece about sophomore slumps. In it, I advised that everyone should take a second look at their major and reevaluate that decision. Changing my major from mechanical engineering to English has been the most important decision I have made so far in college, but I wouldn’t have followed my own advice and made the switch had it not been for my sorority sisters.

I never understood the appeal of Greek life before coming to college, because all I knew were stereotypes–the matching outfits, cute pictures, crazy parties, and conformism. What I have found in my sorority has shattered those stereotypes completely. We may still take cute photos together and get excited about t-shirts with frockets, but we are also dedicated to our studies, have wildly different interests, work hard toward our philanthropy, and care about each other. We also only recruit women in science and engineering.

So how did a group of intelligent women who all major in things like biology, electrical engineering, and computer science help me leave the STEM field? Though our original majors may have been what brought us together, sisterhood is what keeps us close. That means that while I was going through my crisis at the end of my freshman year because I didn’t enjoy my major, all my sisters were incredibly supportive. Though they all enjoy their majors (and it still blows my mind that some of them consciously chose to put themselves through the hell that is organic chemistry), every single one I vented to told me that I should be majoring in something I love. In fact, their passion for their own fields of study made me realize I didn’t share that same passion toward mechanical engineering. Because of the confidence my sisters helped me develop, I was able to change my major to something I love.

I don’t know where I would be in college without my sisters. I’m sure I would have made other friends through my classes or other extracurriculars, but when I think back on all the 2 a.m. conversations, late night Taco Bell runs, birthday parties, study hours, and chapter meetings, I can’t imagine them happening with anyone else. I can almost guarantee that had I not decided to go through recruitment for my sorority at the beginning of my freshman year, I would still be a mechanical engineering major, and I would still be miserable.

Because of my science and engineering sorority, I’m an English major, and I’m happy. I encourage everyone who may have had the same preconceived image of Greek life in your head to do your own research and have an open mind. My sorority has brought nothing but support, encouragement, and joy to my college experience, and it could do the same for you. Some Greek organizations may fit these stereotypes, but mine didn’t, and I will forever be grateful that I didn’t let my naive opinions stop me from meeting the girls who would become my best friends–and who would help me find my passion again.

Kristen is a senior at The University of Alabama majoring in English and minoring in journalism and creative writing. She loves music festivals, reading, Alabama Football, and binge watching Food Network. She serves as Health Chair for the Beta Rho Chapter of Alpha Omega Epsilon. After graduation, she will be moving to Indianapolis to teach through Teach For America.
Alabama Contributor