Your Expectations of College vs. The Reality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

After freshman orientation, the excitement begins to build for exactly how fun and adventurous college life will be. The college life seems to be so hyped-up that the reality is often far different from what is expected.

1. What moving in is like

Expectation: This will be a breeze, and my new room will be so cool!

Reality: Why doesn’t all of my stuff fit in this room?

2. Meeting your roommate for the first time

Expectation: Wow, we’re going to be best friends!

Reality: “Hi…” This is awkward.

3. Saying goodbye to your parents

Expectation: I probably will be so excited I won’t even cry.

Reality: DON’T LEAVE ME HERE WITH THESE STRANGERS!

4. Your first night at school

Expectation: Let’s go out and party!

Reality: “Hey… you think are parents are gonna come back to get us?” “I don’t know… is it weird I wish they would?”

5. Syllabus Week

Expectation: I hear we just get the syllabus and get to leave.

Reality: Okay class, we have a lot to cover this semester, so we cannot waste a minute. Let’s get started on the notes.

6. Your first weekend

Expectation: Totally going to a frat party this weekend.

Reality: What movie should I watch next?

7. How you spend Thirsty Thursday

Expectation: Time to get wasted!

Reality: Drowning in homework and tears.

8. Your weekends

Expectation: I’m going to go out and have so much fun!

\

Reality: How many more papers can I write in one weekend?!

9. Your afternoons when it’s warm out

Expectation: Playing frisbee in the quad or commons area

Reality: Longingly looking out the window while you study in the darkness of your room

10. How you think you’ll eat

Expectation: Delicious and Healthy

Reality: This.

So maybe college isn’t as wild and glamorous as some think it is; however, we wouldn’t change a thing!

Hi! :) I am a student at the University of Akron, Akron, OH, but originally from Sharpsville, PA. I am double majoring with English and Adolescent-to-Young-Adult Education with Integrated Language Arts. I love sparkly things, my sisters, traveling, and having fun!
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.