This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Feminism is such a cool thing. Especially when you meet other feminists who just want to empower and make sure both genders get equal rights. Which, lately, is really cool because now Wonder Woman is out and not only was she an empowering feminist superhero, but feminists love her.

If you haven’t heard of the phenomenon, Wonder Woman was a small character in Batman vs. Superman, yet she made such an impact in one movie that DC decided to give her her own movie where a women is the main character.

Before declaring herself as Wonder Woman, she was Diana, the princess of the Amazons – a trained warrior. When a pilot, played by Chris Pine, crashes onto the island and shares of the war going on in the world, Diana leaves her home and begins to fight the war to end all wars. Along this path she discovered her full powers and her true destiny.  

So what has feminists raving about this movie? Well, for starters, at a young age she was told she could not be a warrior by her own mother and she was meant to live the life of a princess. Diana, being a brave and rebellious soul, went against her mother’s wishes and trained every day. Once her mother found out, she told her trainer that she must train Diana harder than any other warrior before. Diana didn’t want to sit around and live the life of a princess; she wanted to be a warrior. Once Diana traveled into London, all of the men in the room would not discuss war in front of her because she simply was a woman. That was something that stuck with me throughout the entire movie. Yet, once again, Diana proved them wrong and ended the war.

As the movie was coming closer to being released, there were rumors about showing the movie for women only. Which before seeing this movie, I was actually a little skeptical on. But once I saw the movie, I understood. This movie has many themes and one of those themes being empowering women. Wonder Women in some way is a figure of the evolution of women. She is one of the few superheros that is even a female and isn’t a villain or sidekick.

So my question for society is: what are we doing here people? GIVE US MORE EMPOWERING FEMALE SUPERHEROS. They send such a powerful message to younger women and break stereotypes; to not sit around and act like a princess, but to stand up and fight like a warrior.

We need more superheroes like this, more empowerment. Women breaking stereotypes and rushing to be a warrior? That is a beautiful message, that is something we should be teaching. Fighting isn’t only for men but it can be for women too. At the end of the day, we have to remember that Diana was like anyone else. She was told she couldn’t do it or that she was a women so it wasn’t for her, and what did she do? She was a boss-ass bitch and proved them wrong. That is what’s so great about feminism, being a boss and proving stereotypes wrong.

Arden Palmquist is a Senior at The University of Akron majoring in Public Relations. She enjoys blogging and posting on her Instagram.
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.