Keeping Up With A Foreign Language Over Summer Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Verano. Été. καλοκαίρι. Sommer. 夏. Summer. 

The season between Spring and Autumn is often a period of freedom and exploration—especially for college students. While some students may be taking a course or two over the break, and others may be diving into travel or internships, one aspect of the college learning experience may oftentimes fall by the wayside. After spending a few weeks out of class already, can you think of what it is?

As the opening sequence of words may have alluded to, our foreign language skills tend to take a backseat to all the other experiences we have during the summer. The grammar book and matching folder bursting at the seams with conjugation sheets somehow finds its way under our beds or at the bottom of last semester’s pile of work. The jeopardy of that happening, though, is that we loose vital recognition skills of the language we had spent all year improving upon. 

For many students, at least half of their time in college is devoted to the study of a foreign language. Two years (four semesters) is a standard language requirement among most schools, and unless you’ve taken advanced courses in high school, it is likely that you will not be testing out freshman year. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing. The American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages has found that language learning can improve overall cognitive abilities and can contribute to more positive learning about other cultures. Further, it has been found that studying a language can make a person more perceptive to their surroundings and therefore better at sorting through misinformation, and can slow the onset of dementia. 

So while some may groan about fulfilling such a requirement, it is important to consider the different ways the study of and proficiency in a foreign language will benefit them as critical thinkers in an increasingly globalized world context. 

Whether you are in between intermediate courses, going on toward a minor or major, or even just a linguaphile yourself, here are a few tips on how to keep up with a language over an extended break.

Read Online

Reading credible online newspapers and magazines from foreign countries is a great way to not only practice your critical reading skills, but also to stay up-to-date on what is happening in different parts of the world. National and local stories will give you insight into the perpectives of natives, and will challenge you to view current events in a broader sense than before. You will likely come across new vocabulary that you haven’t seen before, and will build a solid foundation for context outside of your academic books. El País and Le Monde are some examples. 

Watch A Film

Who doesn’t love an excuse to spend some quality time with their Netflix queue? A great way to keep your listening comprehension skills in tact is to watch a show or movie in a foreign language. Subtitles are available for those needing to slow down the pace, but nevertheless still challenge your mind to think in a different setting. Switch up your viewings by choosing different genres, and take notice of how the diction and pronunciation might change from one to another. When classes resume in the fall, you’ll even have a great conversation piece to share with your professor that they are sure to be impressed with. 

Listen To Music Or Podcasts

Whether you’re going on a roadtrip or a simple drive to the grocery store, listening to the sounds of different cultures is a great way to further build comprehension skills. You can conduct searches and create playlists of virtually any type of music that exists in our world, and even find surprising sounds you never knew existed. Podcasts are another great way to filter your interests in order to find fascinating topics being discussed in a language different from your own.

Use An Activity Book Or Online Exercises Once Per Week

Dust off those grammar books from last semester and review a few of the key concepts. While reading through past textbooks may seem like a daunting task that students try to avoid, taking an hour every week to do so will pay off. Check out sites like WeSpeke and Lingualia, or even do your own search for fun games to keep engaged. The repetition will work wonders in keeping your skills fresh, so that come fall semester, you won’t feel completely lost. 

Do Some Writing

Jot down a few words that you’ve learned from reading online or watching films. If you’re really feeling creative, you can create flash cards to review every week. When you’re at work or even out with friends, take a moment to absorb your surroundings and think of interesting objects or ideas that you’re unaware of in your language of interest. Writing them down, and looking up the translation later, is one way practice your writing skills while also developing vocabulary. 

Spend Time At An Ethnic Restaurant Or Cultural Event

The summer season is the time to have fun, after all. Do a quick survey of the area you are spending time in or traveling to this summer, and see what locations or events may be going on in relation to your foreign language. If you find a restaurant that matches your interest, practice reading the menu out loud and even ordering in that language. Engaging with natives, or even others who are practicing the language themselves, is a great way to gain hands-on experience and build confidence in your social speaking skills. You will often times find an appreciation among native speakers for those who attempt to assimilate themselves into a culture different from their own.

Check out this TED-Ed video on the benefits of multilingual mind:

Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.