Her Campus Akron Tries: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

As a college student, it’s easy to get caught in a loop of  monotonous routine. With the constant pressure and responsibility of school and work, finding time to relax and treat yourself can seem impossible.

I recently decided to try one new and exciting thing every week, something fun or outside my comfort zone. Last week, I went to Dave and Busters, which, unfortunately, did not exceed my expectations. This week, however, I did something a little more up my alley. I went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Music has always been a huge part of my life, and rock music, in particular, has deeply influenced me. In fact, I’ve been listening to rock n’ roll since I was a baby. My parents always played rock in our house. It echoed through every hall.

I spent every weekend with my parents at their friends’ live shows. When given the option, I would choose a rock show over hanging with my friend almost every time. By the age of five, I was singing the Doors’ albums word for word. And when I was eight, I attended my very first rock n’ roll concert, Motley Crüe.

As I grew older, I fell head over heels in love with rock and live music. The atmosphere of a rock concert is indescribable, the air filled with adrenaline and purpose. It’s always given me a rush and an outlet for emotion — the lyrics filled with meaning that can be interpreted in a variety of ways. Truly anyone can connect with it.

And because rock is a genre that I hold near and dear to my heart, visiting the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was a big deal for me.

When we got there, I could barely control my excitement. The Rock Hall opened promptly at 10:00 A.M., and you better believe that I was in front of the building at exactly 10:00 A.M.

The Rock Hall’s entrance was breathtaking — a glass pyramid sloping toward the lake. And while the welcoming corridors were beautiful, with the light seeping in from the glass walls, the entrance was nothing compared to the exhibits.

A majority of the bands and artists recognized by the Rock Hall created, shaped, and influenced rock in its earliest days. The first exhibit which was fascinating, focused on this year’s inductees. The Rock Hall stipulates that bands and artists are only eligible for induction 25 years after their first recording is released. As a result, many bands and artists that were popular in the 1980’s are just now becoming eligible. Journey, for instance, is a 2017 candidate.

To help visitors understand the history of rock, and the intricate connections between genres, there are several kiosks that allow visitors to trace bands and their influences through time.The visitor is able to select a band or artist, and gain access to a series of quotes and photos. On a personal level, reading quotes from some of my favorites bands about who inspired their sound was a very cool experience. Discovering rock n’ roll’s roots dating back to Aretha Franklin was astonishing, and certainly helped me understand where the music that I love so much originated.

Visitors can also explore an exhibit that traces rock n’ roll’s roots to the early 1900’s. Grouped by decade, the exhibit displays videos and artifacts of bands and artists as they evolved throughout the century. Seeing these sub-genres positioned next to one another makes the evolution of sound and style extremely obvious. For instance, seeing and hearing the Mama’s and the Papa’s, a popular folk-rock group from the 1970’s, next to Nirvana, who single-handedly popularized the grunge look and sound nearly two decades later, was extremely interesting. Comparing bands from different eras, shows the visitor how much can change in such a brief time span.

There is so much to look at in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. There are outfits, guitar picks, instruments, and documents penned by rock icons themselves. Finally seeing the personal belongings of some of the most influential bands in my life was very surreal. Jim Morrison, of The Doors, had an interesting exhibit, and Jimi Hendrix’ colorful outfits, on loan from his family, spanned an entire hallway.

It’s funny to think that rock n’ roll was so often rejected and insulted in its earliest days, and people even burned albums and shunned rock well into the 1980’s and 1990’s. I was captivated by a video chronicling Elvis Presley’s influence, and how provocative he was in the 1950’s. These intense and negative reactions are almost humorous. People really believed rock was the Devil’s music — that it was promiscuous, suggestive, and a detriment to society. My, how the times have changed. The irony of these reactions is particularly amusing, standing in a museum dedicated to rock n’ roll’s greatest artists.

There is so much to see, hear, and absorb that the Rock Hall can be overwhelming. For instance,  I found myself bouncing from exhibit from exhibit, trying to ensure that I saw everything. I spent four hours exploring exhibits, and still felt like I didn’t have the chance to analyze everything.

My overall experience was great. I loved each exhibit and soaked up the wonderful music. The Rock Hall is so big, it definitely requires a second visit. I suggest making the trip with people who have a passion for rock music, because those who are uninterested in the history of rock n’ roll could find it boring. But it you love rock as much as I do, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a must see. If you’ve already been, consider a second trip, as the exhibits often change and evolve. Overall, the experience that the Rock Hall provides is second to none. Get your tickets now, and rock on!