And The Award For Best Mom Ever Goes To…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

For most students, going to college means leaving home, moving to a new city, state or even country to earn their degree in their chosen field. They experience independence and learning to “adult” on their own without the crutch of parents. But for Marty O’Connor, the situation turned out to be the complete opposite when he decided to earn his Master in Business Administration.

After earning his undergraduate degree from University of Colorado, he started working for the packaging industry firm TricorBraun just five years ago. But in 2012 he fell down a flight of steps, an accident that left him a quadriplegic. But this didn’t stop him from living his life and furthering his education.

“After I got hurt, I didn’t know which end was up,” O’Connor said in an interview with Chapman University’s Blog. “I didn’t really have a direction. I was just dedicating myself to physical therapy five days a week.

“While my body was in a better place because of that, mentally, I was just kind of lost. … I needed that mental challenge and wanted to add some professional value to myself.”

So after searching for MBA programs, he decided to go with Chapman University, earning a scholarship from the Swim with Mike organization—an organization dedicated providing scholarships to physically challenged athletes in honor of USC swimmer and Chapman University alum Mike Nyeholt, who himself became paralyzed after a motorcycle accident.

But realizing that he couldn’t use his arms for writing notes, raising his hands or taking test, Marty’s mom, Judy O’Connor decided to move from Florida to California to assist her son. She attended every class with him, took notes for him and even to helped him with his tests. She was there every step of the way.

“I’m a geek. I love being in school,” she said to the Chapman University blog. “I’m not going to lie. I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.” Judy is a retired elementary school teacher with a business degree from Notre Dame.

And after all the hard work, her son Marty wasn’t the only one coming away with an MBA degree, she also earned a special surprise honorary Master’s degree. In an interview with As It Happens cohost, Carol Off, Judy shared the moment the announcer called her name. “I had no clue whatsoever. I was doing my best to get Marty pushed across the stage and in position to receive his diploma and take pictures and I was kind of trying to get in the background and all of a sudden the dean took my arm and I heard my name on the speaker and, oh my goodness, I was blown away. What a wonderful surprise!”

Marty knew what was happening since it was his idea to nominate her and wanted it to be a surprise to her for assisting him in any way she could throughout the whole process.

Now Marty is planning to work for a youth action sports and entertainment startup called Divertcity as corporate head of scholarships.

And it’s all in part thanks to his mom, Judy, who never gave up on him and encouraged him to keep moving forward by assisting him every step of the way. Yep, she’s the best mom ever…

Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.