How to Be an Introverted Activist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

For many, the recent executive orders signed by President Donald J. Trump are nothing short of shocking and deeply troubling. Activists are calling for protests, imploring us to call or state representatives and engage in dialogue. But what if you are uncomfortable or anxious in these types of situations? Not everybody can march proudly in a crowd of thousands or just casually call their Senator for a chat. Here are some ways that you can be a part of the movement from the comfort of your own room.

Preach, Bernie.

1. Use Your Artistic Talents for Good

If you have skills in things like art, writing, or graphic design, you can create for the greater good. Make art to inspire, provoke, or comment on the state of the nation. You could also send an email to a few organizations and see if they need any help with flyer designs or graphics.

2. Write a Letter (or fifty)

Voice your biggest concerns to your local government in the form of a letter or postcard. USA.gov has all the information you need (addresses, email addresses, phone numbers) to get in touch with your House Representatives, Senator, Governor, etc.

3. Tweet It Up

Hashtags may not be a direct move to fix the issues at hand, but they engage you in a conversation with all the other people using this hashtag. It may also bring the issue to the attention of some of your followers who may not have known about it. Even if you don’t use hashtags, your informational tweets can inform and call others to action.

4. Educate Yourself

Equip yourself with more knowledge about the issues which concern you. You can read up on current events, find books by knowledgeable authors, or ask your friends what they’re reading. You could even start by just trying to read the paper every day. Check out Barack Obama’s suggested reading list here.

5. Practice Self Care

It can sometimes be physically and mentally exhausting to keep up with all that is happening in the world while being an activist on top of that. It’s so important to remember to take care of yourself so you don’t get burnt out. If you feel yourself waning, take a little time to recharge and look within to see what you need.

Elizabeth Wolfe

Agnes Scott '18

Elizabeth is the Co-founder and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Agnes Scott. As a Junior at Agnes Scott, she is majoring in English-Literature and Political Science with a focus on human rights. Currently, she is an intern for Atlanta's premier alt-weekly magazine Creative Loafing.