This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

For some Thanksgiving is holiday for family and friends to get together maybe once a year. Thanksgiving is a time to give thanks and appreciate the gifts that we have been given in our lives. 

1. Volunteer at a soup kitchen:I know.. I know.. sounds super cliché but it’ll give you time to reflect on your life and maybe the things we take for granted on a daily basis is something that a lot of people don’t even have.(food, water, shelter) You don’t have to go on Thanksgiving, but I definitely recommend it!

2. Donate clothes:Never too early to start some spring cleaning! Maybe some of the clothes just aren’t your style anymore.You may be clearing your closet for possible new clothes that you may get in the new year! And most importantly, you’re helping out others in need!  

3. Donate non-perishables:If you live at home with your parents, grandparents, etc. ask to go through your pantry and see if there’s anything that you’d be able to donate. (Maybe something you don’t particularly like!)If you live by yourself still go through what you have already own or go to a dollar store and buy a couple of canned items. These non-perishables can really make or break a food pantry especially around Thanksgiving and in the colder months.

4. Write letters:To who? You and your friends and family can write letters to our troops expressing how much you appreciate their service.You can also write a letter or a drawing to a child who is hospital bound. They’ll definitely enjoy what you sent them and make them feel a little bit better.And it’ll make you feel happier and someone will enjoy your kind hearted letter.  

5. Save your coins:Saving your additional change can add up. You can pick and choose which charity you’d want to donate to. (Make-a-Wish, Wounded Warrior Project, etc.)You can also go to a Coinstar machines; they’re machines that count your coins for you and donate your coins directly that you saved without a fee. You can usually find Coinstar machines in supermarkets.  

You’ve heard it once, you’ll hear it again, giving is one of the greatest gifts of all. Be happy and thankful this Thanksgiving and try to give back year round!

Hello! My name is Melanie! I studied Business Management here at Adelphi. Dancing is my passion and my life and I've been dancing since I was four years old. I still dance to this day in NYC. I was employed on campus as part of the Social Media Team. Also, on campus was involved in Adelphi's Symphony Orchestra where I played violin and wrote for HerCampus. Other fun facts about myself is I love animals and the outdoors, my favorite color is pink and I wish that I was a mermaid. ❤