Fight Breast Cancer with the Susan G. Komen 3-Day® and the YW2 Program

With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, hearts, flowers and the color pink are on everybody’s mind. But take a moment to remember that the color pink also represents breast cancer and the fight to find a cure. Even though Breast Cancer Awareness Month is in October, the members of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and partner organizations are fighting year-round to spread awareness, and they are constantly working to raise money and support in order to find a cure for this disease that impacts people all over the world.

As intelligent collegiettes, it is our duty to be informed about this disease. The  Susan G. Komen 3-Day® aims to educate and inspire young women to be proactive about their breast health during a three-day, 60 mile walk. Participants raise a minimum of $2,300, 75 percent of which goes to support Komen’s Research and Training Grant Program, and the other 25 percent helps fund local community and Affiliate support and outreach programs. If three days, 60 miles and $2,300 seems like too much, don’t worry, because this year begins the Young Women Walking Program, or YW2.

This program invites college women ages 16-23 to raise $750 and walk 20 miles for one day during the 3-Day event. During this day, young women have the opportunity to not only meet passionate Komen 3-Day® participants, but also learn myths and facts about the disease and ways to reduce the risk of breast cancer. And what’s a better way to celebrate after this inspiring walk? A party with all the participants, complete with foot massages, inspirational speakers and a dance party!

The Val Skinner Foundation, which was founded by LPGA veteran and six-time tour winner Val Skinner, is also partnering up with the Susan G. Komen 3-Day® to launch the YW2 program. This national campaign educates young women, their families and healthcare providers about breast cancer awareness, risks and early detection. Over the years, the Val Skinner Foundation has raised more than $3.5 million for Susan G. Komen.

The YW2 program allows young women to experience the Susan G. Komen 3-Day® with a smaller commitment, while still making just as big of an impact on the fight against breast cancer. Grab a group of your friends and make it an inspiring, bonding event that you will never forget! The 2013 3-Day® Series spans the nation in 14 cities, from San Francisco to Boston, to Chicago to Tampa Bay. Find the one closest to you and become educated about the disease, motivate others, and have the time of your life. To register, visit, or visit for more information on the program as a whole.

So when you are seeing the overflow of pink decorations during this Valentine’s Day season, remember that there is something more to it than just candy hearts and bouquets of flowers. It’s a color that unites all women under something bigger: the fight against breast cancer.

Photo Sources:

College is hard. We make it easier!

Sign up for our newsletter to get the best of HC delivered to your inbox.


About The Author

Hannah is a senior studying journalism at Boston University.  Originally from Ohio, she loves the Ohio State Buckeyes but couldn’t be more thrilled to be living in the exciting city of Boston. When not staying busy with journalism or French classes, she can be found working out at the gym with the BU club gymnastics team, teaching swim lessons at the pool, and always drinking lots of coffee. As a member of BU’s Kappa Delta chapter, she loves being involved on campus and getting to know as many people as she can. She is so happy to have a chance to work with the Her Campus team, and she can’t wait to see what the future has in store for her!