This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

Women are fantastic at multitasking, but how do they do it? They stay organized. 

One of the main sources of organization comes from having a planner. Not just any planner is going to be beneficial though, it should reflect your personality, needs and goals. If you want a planner to be effective, having it reflect your personality is key. This means having a spot for goals, to-do list, birthdays, appointments or even notes. A planner should be utilized, not a hassle to fill out. If it starts becoming a hassle to fill out your planner then there are a couple things to do. 

First, make sure it’s big enough for what you need it for. A bigger planner might be better for some or vice versa.

Secondly, are you being too detailed when writing things down? I find it better to write in keywords or phrases that are going to remind me what needs done rather than every detail. This eliminates more writing and clutter in my planner so it becomes easier to read. 

two yellow pillar candles with a bullet journal and art supplies
Estée Janssens

Try to write things down as they come up. Keeping your planner on you is a good way to achieve this. An alternative is to write it down in your notes app on your phone or set a reminder to write it down later. 

My final tip is at the beginning and end of each day look and fill out your planner to see what you’ve accomplished and what you have left. This creates a mental note in your mind of the things that have high importance. 

Staying organized is a simple task that creates high performance and helps you achieve many goals along the way. It can even be fun if you want to get creative. I suggest checking out bullet journals as they can be more colorful and personalized! 

Tricia Bair

Youngstown '21

I’m an emotional, ambitious, devoted, fiery Woman who loves to share my experiences with others