Ramblings From a Burnt Out College Student

It has been officially over a year since all of my classes have moved online because of the pandemic. I was a freshman when the pandemic began and I am now in my second year with junior credits. I’ve been taking classes for over a year straight (I took summer classes in 2020), and I have never felt so burnt out in my life.

I suppose I did it to myself by having the same workload these past two semesters as I would in a normal semester. Taking 18 or 19 credits during a pandemic is not necessarily the easiest feat, apparently. However, I have never in my life experienced a feeling like this before. It’s like I’m living the same day over and over again. I wake up and do homework for 7 hours, and on the two days per week when I’m not doing that, I’m doing chores/running errands, or working an 8 hour shift. 

I’m not the only person feeling this way. Because of online classes, there is no longer a separation between relaxing and working. If we are forced to do our work at home, which is usually the place that we go to relax, where is the line drawn? How do we know when to stop?

It seems that professors are only assigning more work since we are online. Just because we have online class doesn’t mean we aren’t busy. I am the busiest now that I have ever been in my life. I don’t have time to see my friends or family. I haven’t seen some of my friends in over a month. I haven’t seen my friends from other schools since October. I barely have time to participate in my extracurricular activities, and the jobs that I have to complete in my leadership roles could definitely be done better if I just had more time. 

We didn’t get a spring break this semester, and I am really feeling the loss of that time off right now. And looking ahead to our fall semester, I have noticed that there is no fall break and “wellness days” aren’t even included on the calendar, which is what has prompted this meaningless rant in the first place. 

I know I’m not the only one who feels this way, but it still seems that way because I’m so alone. College students have lost all of the fun aspects of college, only to be replaced with more work. Now, it’s like we can’t even enjoy things that used to be moderately fun. Logging on to zoom meetings for the student organizations I’m part of can’t even compare to getting to go to the meetings in person. I used to want to write multiple Her Campus articles per week, but this is the first one I’ve been able to write in a month because I cannot think about anything else but school. 

I don’t know what the solution is here. It’s too late to give us a break this semester. In my mind, I keep going back to a couple options:

1. I quit an organization I’m a part of
  2. I quit my job
  3. I stop trying to go home to see my family

None of these options are ideal...

I’m in four group projects this semester. FOUR. Group projects aren’t easy when we are in person let alone in a pandemic where we can’t even see each other.  Something's got to give.

Hopefully the end of this semester will bring the return of my sanity with it. Until then, if you have to associate with me for any reason, I would like to formally apologize, because I’m so stressed I’m not myself currently. 

I hope, if nothing else, anyone who is reading this feels less alone about their current situation. I know you're out there. I know you're tired and frustrated and don't feel like yourself. It will be okay and we'll get through it together, because you aren't alone.