This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

Getting involved on campus can seem scary and hard to do, especially if you are a freshman and do not know anyone. There are many different ways you can get involved without it being scary or confusing.

The first option is to get involved in something through a class you really enjoy. Usually, there are different clubs through different kinds of classes. For example, in the business school, there is an Economics club. I had no idea about this club until my teacher brought it up to the class. She said it was easy to join, all I had to do was send an email to the address she provided for us. After I did that I would receive a link to join their meetings. This club would be a perfect and easy way for someone to be a part of something they want to learn more about, get deeper into the subject, and meet new people who have some of the same interests as them.

Another way to find different clubs is to go on the Penguin Portal. The portal lists every single club on campus and how to reach out to the person who will help you get involved. There are so many clubs to choose from, YSU pretty much has anything under the sun to choose from. We have music, art, and theatre if you are into that stuff. The university pretty much has a club for every major they offer here. Do you like to watch squirrels? Well if you do, we even have that.

That is not the end of what YSU has to offer. We have sororities, fraternities, club sports, special interest clubs, religious clubs, cultural clubs, ways to obtain community service, and university programs. There is so much to choose from that there is something for everyone. It can be so easy, all you have to do is reach out and show interest.

Joining clubs, being a part of sororities/fraternities, even starting your own organizations can change your college experience. Being a part of something can help you make friends, gain opportunities, and network with people that could help you progress in the future. It is all so easy to do!

Kelli Huffman

Youngstown '24

Freshman at YSU Published Author