This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

Cozying up in your favorite pajamas with a fuzzy blanket and some hot chocolate is unmatched during the cold winter season. However, it wouldn’t be completed without your favorite Christmas movie. Some movies are better than others and I am here to list a few you won’t want to skip. It is no secret that there are many Christmas movies out there that pertain to whatever genre you prefer, but I am going to focus on what I consider to be the top five movies that are family friendly. The top five Christmas movies are as follows: 

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

How the Grinch Stole Christmas is an all-time classic starting with Dr. Seuss’ cartoon series and his child friendly books. The 2002 remake starring Jim Carrey is uncanny and truly has scenes that can be appealing to all members of the family. This version has a very comedic take and has very interesting graphics, costumes, and makeup. 

Elf (2003)

Elf is a movie starring Will Ferrell and is not short of comedic scenes. With an elf from the north pole looking for his father in New York City, anyone can begin to fall in love with Will Ferrell’s character, Buddy. Buddy gives off a youthful appeal, which makes this movie great for a family/friend movie night.

National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989)

National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation is personally my favorite. I ranked it third on this list due to how some scenes may be inappropriate for young children if the movie isn’t censored. Aside from that, this movie is truly hysterical while conveying the message of how Christmas doesn’t need to be picture perfect. 

Home Alone Series (1990-1997)

The entire Home Alone series is worth watching. There are three total movies made that go together. With young Kevin being left behind on multiple occasions, he is forced to defend his home from burglars. The extent of his plans being carried out leave room for anyone to laugh while being enjoyable for people of all ages. 

The Polar Express (2004)

The Polar Express is a movie that shows how important it is to believe. The movie has a unique take on idea of Santa Claus and how certain children can see him at the North Pole. The message may be a little difficult for younger children to follow, but it is still a movie the entire family can enjoy. 

Overall, these rankings are based on my personal opinion. However, if you are looking to plan a fun movie night I would recommend including these movies on your list. These five movies fall into the list of classics and are often broadcasted on TV throughout the Christmas season. If you haven’t seen any of them, they are certainly worth the watch! 

Alyssa Metzler

Youngstown '21

I am A 21 year old business marketing major looking to go into law school to fight against discrimination in the workplace. I spend most of my time cuddling with my dog, shopping, or practicing makeup. I have always had a profound love for the beauty and fashion communities. I also enjoy dancing, drawing, writing as a way of expressing myself through forms of art. Overall, I believe every person deserves to have a voice, no matter what form that may be and I tend to make it my life goal to help people find that voice inside themselves and display confidence when doing so!