Starting a Bullet Journal for Beginners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

If you haven’t already heard, bullet journaling is the new hip way to stay organized. It’s like a DIY agenda, perfect for staying organized and creative. I have recently started my own bullet journal and am obsessed with personalizing my organization and productivity. YouTubers Amanda Rachel Lee and Ali Freie have amazing resources to help you get started. Their videos consist of bullet journaling tips and monthly “plan with me” videos. I highly recommend checking both their channels out to look at some of their awesome spreads.

If you are new to the bullet journaling club, welcome! It will be your favorite thing, I promise! Here are some easy tips when starting your journaling process.

Keep It Simple!

Photo from Pexels

At least in the beginning, keeping your spreads simple is probably what’s best. It’s so easy to be overwhelmed especially when you see so many amazing and creative spreads on Instagram and YouTube. This can sometimes be overwhelming, especially for beginners. Remember that the point of bullet journaling is to stay organized. Keeping it simple allows you to fully maximize the system and get a hold on all the moving parts involved. 

Consider The Materials

Photo from Pexels

In relation to point one, materials are not the ‘be all and end all.’ Bullet journaling can get quite expensive and if it’s your first time, you don’t want to invest a lot of money before even beginning. Pens, markers, and journals, it adds up. Start simple with a cheap pen and any random journal. In case this process does not work for you, you will not have wasted money trying.     

Find Inspiration

My favorite tip, and probably the most fun part, is finding inspiration. Inspiration can come from anywhere when designing your bullet journal. I love plants and because I love them, I use them as inspiration when designing my spreads. You can find inspiration from YouTube, Instagram, books, paintings etc. Knowing your themes and having ideas about your bullet journal process will make the experience all the more exciting and creative.

Hopefully you will use these 3 tips to better your bullet journal experience. Happy Journaling!  

Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.