books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Meal Prepping for Back to School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Summer is coming to a close and school is just around the corner. Some of us spent summer eating delicious food with our friends and family, but it’s time to start making brain food in time for school. I like to personally pick one or two recipes to meal prep. I always like to include bananas and other types of fruit in my meals; it helps me focus better while I am studying and doing homework.

THAI CHICKEN SOBA NOODLE SALAD JARS

This Thai jar adds a delicious twist to cold salads. It has some delicious vegetables like carrots and lettuce. You could also add some green onions! If I were to make this, I would add some green peppers into the mix. Salads are always a good option to bring to class as a meal, especially with those long hours at the library. 

Recipe from The Girl on Bloor.

INGREDIENTS

2 cups leftover chicken (can be rotisserie)

1/2 (363 g) package soba noodles

2 cups broccoli slaw

1 red pepper, sliced

4 green onions, sliced

1/2 cup roasted salted peanut halves

Fresh chopped cilantro or basil (optional, to serve)

SATAY SAUCE

1/2 can full fat coconut milk (about 3/4 cup)

2 tbsp peanut butter

1 tbsp soy sauce

1 tbsp rice vinegar

2 tsp sesame oil

1 tsp dried ginger

Photo via The Girl on Bloor

BLACK BEAN AVOCADO TUNA SALAD SANDWICHES 

If you’re looking for something that is high in protein, these sandwiches will do the job. The tuna is mixed with olive oil and avocado is a substitute for mayo, which proves this meal is 100 percent delicious! Personally, I would use whole grain bread instead of white bread, but that choice is up to you!

Recipe from Ambitious Kitchen.

INGREDIENTS

1/2 large avocado, mashed

1 can Genova Yellowfin Tuna in olive oil, drained

1/2 cup black beans (salt free or low sodium, preferred)

1/4 cup chopped cilantro

10 grape tomatoes, halved

Juice from 1/2 lemon (a lime will also work)

1/4 tsp salt

Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

2 slices sprouted, gluten free or whole grain bread (can also use lettuce wraps)

2 tbsp goat cheese crumbles

Photo via Ambitious Kitchen

TUNA SPRING ROLLS

These delicious rolls are perfect for your lunch or dinner. Remember, you could fill the spring rolls with anything (cucumbers, olives, tomatoes, etc). It’s Yummi shows you how to roll the ingredients into a spring roll. I love this creation because I am a huge fan of spring rolls (and egg rolls) and I love to see twists on my favorite foods. 

Tips for Wrapping Spring Rolls

Lay them flat and try to arrange them so you don’t break them apart. 

Gently place each wrapper into a bowl of warm water before piling your ingredients onto the wrappers. You don’t want them waterlogged, but you want the color to turn from white to clear. Place your filling about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of each wrapper. Leave about an inch on both sides unfilled so you can fold the sides in before you begin rolling them up from the bottom. They’re a bit fragile, so roll gently, but use firm pressure to keep the roll as tight as possible.

Photo via It’s Yummi

BACK TO SCHOOL LUNCHES

With those long days at school, it’s good to have multiple snacks with you in case you get hungry. Modern Honey is a mommy blogger who posts what she packs her kids for lunch. I found her blog posts useful because they have multiple options on what you can bring to school. You can always mix these options together. 

OPTION #1

Turkey and cheddar roll up

Fresh berries 

Yogurt

Trail mix

OPTION #2

Hummus

Pita Bread

Grape tomatoes 

Cucumbers

Sliced oranges

OPTION #3

Cheese quesadilla 

Guacamole

Salsa

Tortilla chips

Strawberries

Photo via Modern Honey

ONE POT CHILI PASTA

Budget Bytes has 30 easy meals you could try out. Bring it to school or make it when you get home, whatever your heart desires. This southwest chili meal is filled with flavor. It is mixed with protein and fiber that you’ll love! 

PREP TIME: 10 mins

COOK TIME: 30 mins

TOTAL TIME: 40 mins

INGREDIENTS

1 tbsp olive oil ($0.16)

1 medium onion ($0.42)

2 cloves garlic ($0.16)

1/2 lb ground beef ($2.46)

2 tbsp flour ($0.02)

2 tbsp chili powder ($0.30)

15 oz can tomato sauce ($0.79)

15 oz can diced tomatoes ($0.79)

15 oz can black beans ($0.99)

15 oz can kidney beans ($1.09)

1 cup frozen corn kernels ($0.60)

2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni ($0.85)

2 cups beef broth ($0.08)

1 cup shredded cheese ($1.00)

Click here to follow instructions on how to make this delicious meal.

Photo via Budget Bytes

Remember to always keep in mind any allergies in case you are serving these meals to your friends or family.

Last year, I started bringing healthy meals to school — it’s always a good idea to bring something with you to class in case you get hungry. We can never fully use our brains on an empty stomach. Good luck and have an amazing school year — happy meal prepping!

Kaitlin is a bilingual (French and English) writer originating from friendly Thunder Bay. They are in their seventh year at York University, where they study professional writing with an emphasis on journalism. They live with their partner of nine years and their cat, Tessa. They started writing with a passion and a poem that eventually won third in a contest 12 years ago, and started editing not too long after. When not at the keyboard, Kaitlin can be found reading, cooking, playing video games, or holding Tessa. Their favorite movies are scary and their favorite television genre is reality. Kaitlin's passions include copyediting, anything scary or spooky and adding to her collection of dolls, magnets and cups. Their favorite part of writing/editing is giving others a chance to share their story or achieve their dreams and offering insight on "the little things." Some of Kaitlin's favorite topics reflect on their personal life, including health/disabilities, fringe topics and social issues.