Her Campus Profile: Fatou Balde

Fatou is one of our newest writers in the Her Campus at York U chapter. This week I was able to ask her a bunch of questions so that I, as well as all of you, can get to know her a bit better. Keep reading to find out some interesting facts you probably didn’t know!

Name: Fatou Balde​

Age: 20 in less than a month

Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius

Year and major: 1st year communications

Favorite songs: Currently topping my all-time favorites are “Take Care” and “PPP”, both by Beach House. But right now, I’m really feeling “Space” by Siv Jakobsen and “Tonya Suite” by Peter Nashel from I, Tonya. Movie soundtracks are underrated in my opinion.

Favorite food: Samosas, shawarmas and chocolate.

What are some things you like to do in your free time?

I love Netflix but when I want to stimulate my brain, I like to journal and read. I’m currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.

Describe a weird/funny experience you had recently.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I took my siblings trick-or-treating and this woman followed us for a bit and videotaped us going up to houses. When I confronted her, she ignored me and walked away. It was very weird but mostly infuriating. She was probably just putting us on Snapchat but still… I was ready to fight her.

Someone barged in my change room and I apologized like the Canadian I am.

A post shared by Fatou Balde (@fatoubbalde) on

What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?

Someone once told me, “What people think of you is none of your business”, which is something most people already know, but it’s hard to put it into practice. I often try reminding myself that no one ever died from not being liked or understood by everyone.

How would your friends describe you?

My friends would probably say that I’m funny but sometimes I worry too much. I’m not one who has a lot of fun. In fact, I hate it when my friends make plans in the evening. I don’t like being out at night; I just don’t feel safe.

What do you hope to achieve in the next 5-10 years?

I really want to graduate and keep my sanity at the same time. Once I get that done, I want to move and find somewhere nice to settle down and start a career. I have goals in mind but I just want to be happy.

What are three interesting facts about you that no one else knows?

First, I love libraries, not just because of the books but because no one ever bothers you there. Second, I have an older half-sister that I’ve never met (but hopefully will meet). Lastly, I’m actually very driven and ambitious. I just tend to not try or start things when I feel like I’m going to fail.

When you're the first one to wake up at a sleepover

Why did you decide to join Her Campus?

I’ve always loved Her Campus and was even part of the High School Ambassador program in 2015-2016. There are over 100 chapters filled with like-minded students who just want a space to express themselves and gain new skills. It’s great to have on your resume but mostly, Her Campus is the club to join if you want to meet other creative people.

What is your favorite aspect of your program?

I love how different everyone’s objectives and interests are. Some people are interested in new media while others are into politics. Communications are a part of everything, and I wanted to have that flexibility.

If you could travel to any place in the world, where would you go? Why?

This might not be travel goals, but I’ve always wanted to do a tour of Canada. I love this country and I would like to see what life is like in other provinces. Plus, with all of our national parks, I feel like it’s a missed opportunity to not explore this country.

All pictures courtesy of Fatou Balde.

Interested in joining a group of cool girls like Fatou? Click one of our links below to contact us. We are always looking to expand our community and this could mean YOU!

Email: [email protected]

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hcyorku/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hcyorku/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/hcyorku//