Olympic Bronze Medalist Phoebe Staenz ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Class: 2017

College: Ezra Stiles

Major: Math and Economics

Hometown: Oerlikon, Zurich, Switzerland

You may have heard the buzz on campus about resident Olympian and bronze medalist Phoebe Staenz. Read on for HerCampus Yale’s inside look at the Swiss ice hockey star’s journey and experience at Sochi!

Favorites:

Movie – Crank or Transporter

Food – Chinese dumplings

TV Show – The Big Bang Theory

Celebrity Crush – None

When and how did you get started playing ice hockey?

I got started through a friend in first grade and continued on with my brothers at the age of five. 

How has your first season at Yale been?

My first season at Yale has been so much fun! I feel I have improved as a player, scholar and person.

How has your training for the Olympics differed from past preparation?

My training hasn’t differed at all since I have always trained to be in the Olympics and to be one of the best (which I am still working on!).

What is the most rewarding part about having been selected for such an honor?

The most rewarding thing is to see the smile and pride on the people’s faces who have supported me all the way, especially my parents, brothers, as well as other family.

Do you have any pre-game rituals?

No, I don’t have any rituals because I think they are a bad omen and one becomes too dependent upon them.

What has been your favorite Yale memory so far?

The Olympic-themed cake I shared with the team which the off ice trainer bought for me

What was the atmosphere of the athlete’s village like? Are there any memories that will particularly stick with you?

There were two athlete villages: The Mountain Village and the Coastal Village, where all the athletes competing on ice were staying. The village itself was very quiet. Here and there you would see athletes riding their bicycles to get to wherever they were going. The best place to interact with athletes was in the dining hall. The atmosphere wasn’t at all as serious as I had expected. Everybody was very friendly and approachable. A memory besides winning the bronze medal would be the day we snatched bicycles from athletes who had left them outside to go and eat because we were running late. This happened a few times.

How did it feel to be competing on such a large scale?

It didn’t feel too different than a world championship except that there were more distractions and more athletes. As soon as the first days passed, I was able to focus only on hockey because I had seen most of the Olympic park already. 

Where do you see yourself in five years?

In 5 years, I absolutely don’t know where I see myself. I am not the kind of person who thinks ahead. I take everything as it comes since I have no control of the future. Hopefully, I will still be playing hockey, and be happy and healthy.