Emma Goldberg ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

During the hustle and bustle and meet and greets of the first days of school, someone says to me, “have you read that article in the New York Times written by some freshman girl who goes here? It’s incredible!” I decide I wanted to check out this article for myself, so I Google “Yale freshman NY time article” and sure enough, Emma’s piece  “The Fragility of Our Superheroes” pops up.  I was so impressed with her writing that I immediately clicked the email button to send to family and friends to read for themselves. 

Emma meets me at Blue State on a Wednesday afternoon. She has a bounce in her step and a warm, friendly smile that instantly lightens my mood. Emma is perhaps one of the most humble yet most accomplished freshmen I have met at Yale thus far (and that is saying a lot).

HC: So how did you get into writing?

EG: I started writing at a young age, first keeping a journal in elementary school, and then I started writing for my school’s magazines and newspapers when I got older.  I would have to say I enjoy writing memoirs most, but I also like to write to raise awareness about important issues. Right now I write for the Yale Daily News and The Globalist. My blog entries for the Globalist are focused on how women and youth tend to have more of a voice in the midst of conflict.  For example, the women and youth in Rwanda have recently been more empowered as a result of the civil war because all of the men have gone off to fight.  I’m also interested in how social media can connect and educate people. Most people view social media as recreation, but it can actually be a powerful tool to educate and inform people about politics and international policy. I actually work as social media specialist for STAND, an anti-genocide organization that seeks to raise awareness amongst people across the country in order to prevent future cases of ethnic cleansing.

[An interesting article of Emma’s to check out is her piece for the Huffington Post called, “Mother May I (Go on Maternity Leave)” an enlightening article that discusses the challenges facing women who want both children and a strong, robust career.]

HC: How does your experience at Yale play into your love of writing?

EG: My experience with writing has changed a lot since the beginning of school. Previously, writing has been a less social and more introspective thing, but at Yale I have enjoyed being able to use writing to get to know inspiring new people. I have met so many incredible writers that the Yale Daily News and the Globalist so far and I’m so glad that my writing has connected and introduced me to so many people I might not have met otherwise.

HC: What writing accomplishment are you most proud of?

EG: Last year, I entered a play-writing competition. I was always too scared to write a play, so I decided to take a chance and enter a contest.  Somehow, the judges liked my play so it actually ended up being performed off-Broadway in New York City.

HC: That is incredible! Obviously, you are very invested in (and very skilled at!) writing. Do you have any other interests that are important to you?

EG: I’m actually fairly invested in the Jewish community. I went to a Jewish day school before coming here. I’ve found my Jewish values have shaped a lot of my experiences with community service.

HC: What has been your most rewarding experience regarding the link you make between Judaism and community service?

EG: I was actually lucky enough to speak at the “Life of Commitment Breakfast” at a theological seminary in New York two years ago. The seminary picks four women to speak, each of a different religion and age. I was so in awe of the women I was supposed to speak with – they were all so incredibly accomplished. One was a Muslim woman who founded a clinic in the Bronx for women who became estranged in the Muslim community because they were raped. 

HC: That is so awesome. So on another note… where do you see yourself in 10 years?

EG: I hope to be doing work I’m really passionate about and will have an impact on the well being of others. I hope I’m lucky enough to be in a community as warm and supportive as Yale’s.

HC: Excited for Thanksgiving Break?

EG: Yes! The two things I’m looking most forward to are my aunt’s sweet potatoes with marshmallows and seeing my brothers.