Hero Copy
Hero Copy
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media

Your Knowledge Of Zodiac Signs Might Make You A Better Communicator

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Who here went into the COVID-19 pandemic as one person and is now a completely different one? Yeah, me too. Twelve months ago, if you had asked me how I was spending my free time, I would have shown you a TikTok of Draco Malfoy and Cedric Digory. However, slowly but surely, I went from #dracotok to having my For You Page (FYP) consumed by zodiac signs. 

Do not get me wrong, I love learning about myself and personality just as much as the next 20-year-old, but something about the idea that zodiac signs play a role in who we are definitely raised skepticism. Instead of sulking and being upset that I could not get on TikTok without hearing what kind of career a Gemini should have, I decided to sit back and enjoy the ride. Little did I know, this was the beginning of how I would learn how to be the best communicator in the game. 

“How does knowing my zodiac sign improve my communication skills?” 

That is a fantastic question! Thank you so much for asking. The answer is not as simple as you may think, so let’s break it down. There are twelve zodiac signs: Aquarius, Pisces, Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Saggitarius and Capricorn. Each zodiac sign falls into one element: air, water, fire, and earth. 

Ah, the air signs. These include Aquarius (Jan. 20 – Feb. 18), Gemini (May 21 – Jun. 20) and Libra (Sept. 23 – Oct. 22). I am totally biased in loving air signs because I am one. Air signs are usually known to be intellectuals— witty, easily distracted, clever and chatty. They have a hard time narrowing down what they want in life because they want, well, everything. However, they sure do know how to have a good time while trying to figure it out. Similar to how it is difficult to contain air, good luck getting a good and strong hold onto an air sign. 

No, liking the beach does not make you a water sign. Water signs include Pisces (Feb. 19 – Mar. 20), Cancer (Jun. 21 – Jul. 22) and Scorpio (Oct. 23 – Nov. 21). Water signs are usually intuitive, empathetic, emotional, artistic, social and go-getters. They are great at encouraging people to loosen up and reminding them that life is supposed to be fun. However, just like a wave, they are notorious for letting their emotions build up until there is one big crash! Water signs are great to have in your life if you feel like you need a break.

Are you in desperate need of some focus and ambition? Well, the earth signs are not. The earth signs include Taurus (Apr. 21 – May 20), Virgo (Aug. 23 – Sept. 22) and Capricorn (Dec. 22 – Jan. 19). Earth signs are usually smart, grounded, judgmental, motivated, and stubborn. Many of the richest individuals in our society are earth signs. They are money and success-hungry, so tread lightly if you are thinking about going up against them for a promotion. 

Last, but definitely not least, we have the fire signs. The fire signs include Aries (Mar. 21 – Apr. 20), Leo (Jul. 22 – Aug. 22) and Saggitarius (Nov. 22 – Dec. 21). Fire signs are typically confident, extroverted, short-tempered, creative, determined and curious. If you need the opposite of a break, hit up your fire sign friend because they will show you the time of your life. Be careful, many people think they can handle a fire sign in their life until they say the wrong thing. Fire signs can be absolutely ruthless or the sweetest people ever— there is no in between. 

Perfect! Now that we have gone over who belongs where, let’s dissect. Imagine you are just starting to talk to a new love interest and find out that they are an earth sign. If you have enough background knowledge about earth signs, then you now know what makes them angry, what makes them happy, how they communicate, the activities they may be interested in and more. If you are a good communicator, you can use this to your advantage. It is almost like a form of mind-reading. For example, if you were to get into an argument because you felt like this person was not spending enough time on you, you can try to resolve the conflict by using your newfound critical thinking skills about the signs. 

Earth signs are success-driven, so they are likely prioritizing work heavily and are stubborn in their belief to do so. You could try saying something like “I know work is really important to you, and I understand that. Is there a way we can work together so that you can enjoy both work and me?” Bam. You have validated their feelings about work, while simultaneously splitting the power with them in order to find a solution. 

This is just one example of the many on how you can use your knowledge about zodiac signs to become a better communicator. Full disclosure, I believe that zodiac signs play a role in our characteristics, but I do not believe that they are what determines our whole life. I have my own separate religious beliefs, but learning zodiac signs and what their attributes are has proven to be very useful for me in my personal and professional life. What you decide to do with the information is completely up to you! 

Some may argue that because I am a Gemini, I am the only one who can use zodiac signs to be a better communicator. Their reasoning being that Gemini’s are “two-faced.” Whether that is true or not … well I guess you’ll never know until you try it out for yourself. Xoxo. 

Hello everyone, my name is Jordan Perry! I am currently a Junior at West Virginia University majoring in criminology with minors in marketing, public relations, and psychology. I have always wanted to start a blog of my own but never had the time to fully commit. Her Campus is the perfect outlet for me to write about what is important and/or fun. I have so many thoughts that run through my head on a day to day basis and I hope you enjoy getting a sneak peak at some of them! I thrive on having serious conversations with ridiculous sarcastic undertones. I plan to write about topics that are related to a range of different topics. Buckle up and let's enjoy the ride!