Style

Rihanna’s Savage x Fenty NYFW Show surpasses diversity expectations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

From the stunning cast of models and performances, inclusivity and powerful choreography, the Savage x Fenty fashion show is like nothing you’ve ever seen before.

Rihanna, the famous artist and creator of Fenty Beauty and the Savage x Fenty lingerie line (as well as a long list of other things), has surpassed the diversity standards in the fashion industry. While one brand may walk a mile to meet diversity expectations, Rihanna sprints 100.

Photo credit: Ruvan Wijesooriya

Fenty Beauty celebrated the one-year anniversary of its launch on Saturday, Sept. 8. At its initial launch, Rihanna created over 40 foundation shades, focusing on skin tones most beauty brands ignored. This pushed brands all over the world to begin doing the same (although they still have a long way to go).

Then in May 2018, Rihanna released her inclusive Savage x Fenty lingerie line, which was made for women of many body types, from size XS to 3XL and bra sizes ranging from 32A to 44DD. Which means you’ll probably be able to find your size in your favorite pieces. As someone who isn’t necessarily a size small and struggles to find pieces that actually fit comfortably, I was very excited for this line.

Photo credit: Ruvan Wijesooriya

Rihanna blew it out of the water again as she let us enter the World of Savage x Fenty at the Brooklyn Navy Yard on Wednesday, Sept. 12 during New York Fashion Week. Her fashion show featured women of all skin tones, sizes, shapes, hair color, heights and even two pregnant women. Having pregnant women walk down the runway showcased how beautiful and sexy pregnant women’s bodies can be.

“Championing inclusivity and diversity, the moving presentation-turned-runway featured women of all races and body sizes,” said Harper’s Bazaar about the show. “It was a show that celebrated women and sisterhood to the fullest extent with beautiful dance performances, symbolic choreography and a theatrical display.” 

Slick Woods, one of the two pregnant models, began having contractions during the show, but continued walking. She had her first son 14 hours later with boyfriend Adonis Bosso (can we say FIERCE?!). Her Instagram caption of the show said, “THIS IS THE FACE OF A WOMAN IN LABOR.”

Photo credit: Michael Beckert

Beside Woods, both of the Hadid sisters were also featured in the show, as well as Duckie Thot and Joan Smalls, among many other beautiful and powerful women. The runway was set up as an urban planetarium that featured a botanical dome, a ‘growing station’ and a desert. The models strutted through the scenery as a cast of dancers performed a a powerful routine, all wearing Rihanna’s creations. Before Rihanna walked out, the models lined up side-by-side, hand-in-hand, which was a very moving end to the performance.

Photo credit: Ruvan Wijesooriya

This was not your standard runway walk. It was a performance unlike any other. It seemed to not only be about the stunning clothes the models were wearing, but about the women themselves. Rihanna is a strong advocate for women empowerment and this runway was the embodiment of that empowerment.

Photo credit: Ruvan Wijesooriya

I know I felt inspired, moved and fierce after watching this runway show. It was my favorite part of New York Fashion Week and no matter what Rihanna does next, I know I’ll be on board.

Watch the Savage x Fenty show on Youtube. Shop the line at Savagex.com.

What was your favorite part of the Savage x Fenty fashion show? Tweet us @HerCampusWVU.

Kristen completed her undergraduate degree in journalism at West Virginia University in May 2019. She is currently pursuing her master's degree in the Integrated Marketing Communications program at WVU. During undergrad, she was the managing editor of Her Campus at WVU and editor-in-chief of Mirage Magazine in the 2018-2019 year. Kristen is currently the student editor at 100 Days in Appalachia and a freelance writer for West Virginia-based publications. Previously, she has served as the communications and marketing intern for the WVU Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, a writing and editing intern for New South Media and a photographer for the Daily Athenaeum. She is an avid fan of alt-rock, photography and advocating for women's equality and the prevalence of solutions journalism. Kristen hopes to one day report on internet culture and technology. 
Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.