How To Deal With The Semester Being Halfway Over

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Midterms are supposedly made to show your process so far in the semester, but it’s actually to get students to pull their hair out. The stress, late nights spent downing gallons of coffee, and those evil teachers that give you stacks of homework on top of your exams help make midterms a week from hell. With all of these weighing down on you, a reminder creeps in the back of your mind: the semester’s halfway over.

Now, before you have a panic attack and start screaming into your pillow, keep in mind that it’s only half over. There’s still about two months left to help yourself. For those preparing to graduate in December, you’re almost there. Keep pushing through it and the next thing you’ll know, you’ll be walking across that stage. For anyone else, spend some time working on your grades and getting all of your homework done throughout the next half; make your parents proud. Go out and job hunt, add some extra money in your pockets for the weekend. Patch things up with that good friend of yours you may have be in a fight with or are drifting away from. Do whatever it is that will help you throughout the next half, but be sure to enjoy yourself. After all, college doesn’t last forever.

With all of these thoughts on how to improve, make sure you live in the moment. Time flies, so set aside some time for yourself to just relax. You don’t want to let what’s yet to come add more stress on yourself. Scribble into your planner a night saved just for yourself. Not a night out with your friends, not a night spent doing homework or studying, a night specifically for your enjoyment. Draw a bubble bath, pour yourself a glass of wine, turn on some music, and reminisce on the good times you’ve had so far this semester while keeping in mind the many more to come. After all, just because half of the semester’s over doesn’t mean it’s bad. We’ve all had some great memories to look back on, and some to look forward to.

Now, take a moment to look out your window and remember one great thing that the second half has: the seasons have changed. Whether you like the fall season or not, there are so many great things that come during this half. Fall Break, pumpkin picking, Fright Farm, Halloween, bonfires, Thanksgiving cooking, colorful leaves, boots, scarves, oversized sweaters, and many other features come with autumn. Weekend trips are planned with your friends in which you do nothing but fall activities. Who doesn’t enjoy painting or carving pumpkins in a room full of people you love? Or maybe sitting around a bonfire while roasting smores? So rather than freaking out about a new half, pull on a comfy sweater, grab yourself a Pumpkin Spice Latte and enjoy.

A junior at West Virginia University, Erin is majoring in Journalism (emphasis on Print) and working to achieve a minor in Creative Writing. Erin is currently the president of the Alpha Pi chapter of the national service sorority, Omega Phi Alpha, and is a member of the Alpha Pledge class. She plans to pursue a career in journalism and focus on arts & entertainment.
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.