Top 5 Things No One Tells You About College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WSU chapter.

Many people, including your parents, will warn you about what to expect. Sometimes they will cover the majority of it, but you won’t know what they mean until you experience it yourself.

1. Professors  are cool in college

What is one of the biggest differences you notice during your first week of class? Well if you’re at Washington State University, or have a Sylly Week like we do, you’ll notice that going to class is optional. There is no front office that will call your parents to inform them that you didn’t show up. Reality check, your professors could care less. Obviously they want you to succeed, but they are not your babysitter. Your grade in the class reflects how much you care about your education, and it will show if you’re not present. Attendance is up to you, and so is your grade.

Another thing, in college you need to impress your professors and create faculty/student bonds with them in hopes that they will give you a letter of recommendation. In high school, your teachers are just there to teach you and help you pass, no recommendations required. There is a turning point in college where you begin to see your professors as a friend rather than authoritative. Take initiative of that and try to get on top by getting to know your professors and their grading preferences, it’ll help you out in the long run.

2. Are you going to starve?

Have you decided how you’re going to eat? Are you going out to eat, meal prepping at home, or eating at the dining hall? When you leave for college, you have to learn how to take good care of yourself. Your parents no longer take care of your meals. If you’re cooking for yourself, try not to burn the house down. Last semester, I had a blonde moment and put a metal pot with pasta in the microwave. Why didn’t I think beforehand? No idea. It was a blonde moment. Please, laugh.

3. Who TF are you living with??

Roommates don’t always come easy. Do you know who you are living with? Are they complete strangers? Do you even get to chose who you live with? Who does the chores? Living with someone new for the first time, friends or not, can be challenging. When I lived in my first apartment during my first year of college, I did not live in a dorm and I had no idea who I was going to be living with. My second year in college, it was the same. When I transferred schools, I met my best friend, Candace. We met the summer before we decided to live together and making that decision to be her roommate was the most exciting, yet nerve-racking experience, and let me share with you why. I got really excited to live with a good friend. She is great and we have a mutual respect for each other. Although living with her now feels natural, neither of us had great experiences prior to living with each other. We decided to create a rules list incorporating all the rules that we both have and agree with. If we ever started butting heads, we would turn to the list and follow our rules, no matter what the issue was. Having a list of rules, or something like it, really helps eliminate problems and makes living with someone new easier. Even if you are living with your best friend, adjusting to a new living environment isn’t easy for everyone and can be taken with precautions. You don’t just throw yourself at your new roommate and tell them to deal with it, do you? No, no you don’t.

4. Going out

First weekend out in your new college town. Are you going to a house party? A Fraternity party? Are you going on a Tinder date with someone new? Do you need to ask your parents for permission? HA no. In high school, parents give you the final word and in college, they don’t. You are on your own. Parents can’t tell you what to do, when to be home, or what to do when you’re out. Decisions when you’re out on your own are 100% up to you. Please be safe. Drink if you want, go do something spontaneous, but if you’re going out, make sure to tell someone or use the buddy system. So many young girls don’t think of the consequences, both good and bad, that come with going out when you’re off at college for the first time. Some people go off on the deep end and do something they would have never done while living in their parent’s home, and some people are homebodies. No matter what you do, just be safe. Okay? Thanks.

5. Homesick

This is your first opportunity to be on your own, you feel like a big shot but you begin to miss the safety net which are your parents, a home cooked meals, and your own bed, freshly made by your mom. Homesickness is a bitch that happens to almost anyone. You will miss something about home, no matter how big or small. The one thing to remember when your homesick is how good it’ll be to have that missing piece back in your life when you go home. Think of the saying “you won’t miss it till you’re gone,” it’s true and it will hit you like a truck. The homesickness feeling goes away normally after the first month or two, and for some, it can last a whole semester. Once you get acquainted with your new temporary home, it will get easier and you’ll enjoy your new home more than you did when you first moved in.

College is the most exciting four years of your life, embrace it and be prepared for one exhilarating ride!

Washington State University English Major and Business Administration Minor with a certificate in Editing and Publishing expecting to graduate Spring 2019. Current member of Chi Omega Sorority and Delta Sigma Pi Business Fraternity. Columnist for The Daily Evergreen at Washington State University, Jounralist for The Odyssey Online, and Blogger for HerCampus.
I am a sophomore at Washington State University. I am getting a degree in International Business and am looking forward to a career in Non-Profit work! Be sure to check out WSU's Her Campus page!