jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Read, Watch, Listen: September 15, 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Here at Her Campus William and Mary, we understand what it’s like to be inundated with all of the entertainment choices in the world. As a college student, you have limited free time, so when you choose to pick up book, listen to a new single, or spend $12 on a movie ticket, you want that choice to matter. To help you out, each week we’re going to break down what’s new and noteworthy in the world of entertainment. From buzzy books to fantastic films, terrific TV to snazzy songs, we got you covered. So, without further delay, please enjoy the inaugural installment of Her Campus William and Mary’s “Read, Watch, Listen.”

Read:

• Warcross—by Marie Lu: If you enjoyed her Legend series, you are going to want to check out Warcross. Warcross tells the story of Emika Chen, a hacker/bounty hunter who is recruited to be a spy during the Warcross Championships, a video game competition. This novel looks like a perfect fit for fans of books like Ready Player One.
  • Little Fires Everywhere—by Celeste Ng: Celeste Ng burst onto the literary scene with her 2014 debut, Everything I Never Told You. In Little Fires Everywhere, Ng once again explores family dynamics in an Ohio suburb, and what happens when outsiders disrupt everyday life. If you enjoyed her first novel, Little Fires Everywhere seems like the perfect read.

Watch:

• mother!—It was one of the most buzzed about films at the Venice Film Festival and Toronto International Festival, and it opens in US theaters on the 15th. mother!, starring Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem, has not released many details about the plot, but we do know that it follows Lawrence and Bardem as they renovate an old house. Check out this psychological thriller, as it could be the last we see of Jennifer Lawrence for a while.
  • IT—If you were hesitant to check out this terrifying adaptation of Stephen King’s bestseller when it hit theaters last weekend, you may want to change your tune. While many King fans (myself included) assumed that this would be another poor adaptation of his work, critics and fans agree that the film hits the mark. It had the highest September opening of all time, Pennywise has become a meme, and once again everyone is afraid of clowns. You don’t want to miss this film!  

Listen:

• “Too Much To Ask” by Niall Horan—Former 1D member Niall Horan dropped a new single on the 15th, and if it’s any indication of what his new album will be like, I’m excited! Differing from previously released singles “Slow Hands” and “This Town,” “Too Much To Ask” is a heartbreaking ballad detailing a painful breakup. Horan’s debut solo album, Flicker, will be released on October 20th.
  • “Find You” by Nick Jonas—Jonas dropped his new single on the 14th. “Find You,” is a bit calmer than his previous singles, but still has a groovy beat. Some critics have described this new sound as “One Republic-like.” “Find You” sounds like it would be a great song to play during a chill weekend. 

Main image source

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.