Campus Celebrity: Talya Stanke, ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Name:

Talya Stanke

Year:

Senior

Major(s):

International Relations

Hometown:

Arlington, VA

Activities on Campus:

• Alma Mater Productions (AMP)
  • Colleges Against Cancer
  • Heritage Humane Society

Describe Yourself in Three Words:  

Books, dogs, & coffee

What Do You Like to Do In Your Free Time?

I love belting out the lyrics to High School Musical and/or Hamilton as I drive to Target. I also love to read, write, travel, and cuddle with my dogs when I’m home.

If You Could Live Anywhere in the World, Where Would You Live?

Jerusalem

Career Goals?

HAHAHAHAHAHA I’ll let you know when I figure it out.  

What your Favorite Book?

Don’t make me choose- I physically can’t.

What is Your Favorite Movie?

10 Things I Hate About You

What Is One Thing On Your Bucket List?

I want to purchase a farm and adopt as many rescue dogs as possible and live happily ever after.

What is Something Someone Would Be Surprised to Learn About You?

I don’t know how surprising this is for people who know me, but I love any and all things personality test related. Myers Briggs, Astrology, Enneagram, Harry Potter House, etc. I love it all.

What’s Your Favorite Part of William & Mary?

I love that William & Mary can be whatever I need it to be- exciting, vibrant, challenging, introspective, compassionate, the list goes on. If I need excitement, there are always people who are truly passionate about what they are doing and willing to share it with the campus community. If I need some introvert time, I can walk on the nature trails surrounding campus, visit our College’s museum, or sit in our main coffeeshop for hours reading a book.

What is the Best Part of Studying Abroad?

I can’t stress enough how much everyone who has the opportunity to study abroad should!! The best part of study abroad is experiencing real independence and getting comfortable with the feeling of being uncomfortable/unsure in new situations. You truly become a “problem solver” when forced with the possibility of being stranded in the middle of a foreign country.

What is One Piece of Advice You Have For Freshmen (or anyone)?

Take your time in deciding what you really want to study, but don’t put too much pressure on yourself- oftentimes, the opportunities outside the classroom (whether the student newspaper or model UN or chemistry club) you choose to partake in will define your college experience much more actively than your classes. Also, go to Office Hours!!

If You Were President of the College for a Day, What Would You Do?

Make Michelle Obama our new College President.

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.