Campus Celebrity: Mbiye Kasonga, ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Campus Celebrity: Mbiye Kasonga

Year: Class of 2019

Major(s): Marketing and (self designed) New Media and Cultural Studies

Hometown: Newport News, Virginia

Activities on Campus:  Delta Gamma and William and Mary Television

Describe Yourself in Three Words:  Creative, Intuitive, Original

What is Your Go-To Starbucks Order? Iced Caramel Macchiato no whip

What Do You Like to Do In Your Free Time?

I love watching TV and movies. Right now I’m watching The Americans and getting freaked out by how good (and creepy) Matthew Rhys is.

If You Could Live Anywhere in the World, Where Would You Live? Johannesburg, South Africa

Career Goals?

I’m studying marketing, so I’m excited to get into digital strategy consulting, but long term I’d like to become a film producer and work on films that will impact other people the same way film and TV has impacted me.

What is your Favorite Book? Americanah by Chimanda Adichie (a MUST read)

What is Your Favorite Movie? Moonlight

What Is One Thing On Your Bucket List? I really want to travel to South East Asia. Also skydiving.

What is Something Someone Would Be Surprised to Learn About You?

I think people would be surprised to learn that I’m a huge Justin Bieber fan. He’s a very problematic fave, but a fave nonetheless!

What’s Your Favorite Part of William and Mary?

My favorite part of William and Mary is definitely the people. From my friends to my advisors, I’ve found that people here are really willing to get to know you and to help you along your path.

What is the Best Part of Working with WMTV (William and Mary TV)?

The best part of working with WMTV is getting to be creative. Video production is the medium I feel most comfortable in, and it’s so rewarding to get to follow my ideas from concept to product and see my visions come alive. William and Mary TV has been one of the best experiences of my college career, and my skills have grown so much through it!

What is One Piece of Advice You Have For Freshmen (or anyone)?

If I had one piece of advice for freshmen (or anyone), it would be to really be good to yourself. I spent my freshman year at William and Mary feeling like I was consistently disappointing myself academically and socially. I was setting an almost impossible bar for myself and then getting upset when I didn’t meet it. Once I started investing time in myself and in the activities I am most passionate about, my perspective really changed. So I guess my advice would be to remember that while you are capable, you can’t do the impossible. Be good to yourself!

If You Were President of the College for a Day, What Would You Do?

Easy: bring back The Crust.

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.