Campus Celebrity: Brandy Skaddan, ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Name:

Brandy Skaddan

Year:

Senior!

Hometown:

Fairfax Station, VA

Major(s):

Neuroscience, Pre-med

Activities on Campus:

I am a member of UAID, Swastha Nepal, and Pi Beta Phi. I also have been very involved with Orientation for the last three years; serving as an OA and OAD has been one of my most treasured W&M experiences! I am also a Pilates fitness instructor and really enjoy taking the group fitness classes at the Rec!

Describe Yourself in Three Words:

Energetic, dedicated, potatoes.

Go-To Starbucks Order:

Anything + whipped cream

Favorite Book:

Changes constantly, but right now: House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

Favorite Movie:

Titanic

Hobbies:

Exercising, reading, baking

Career Goals:

Become a neuropsychiatrist and specialize with neurodegenerative diseases

What is one thing on your bucket list?

Learning how to surf!

What is one thing people would be surprised to learn about you?

I can make a noise that sounds like a dolphin…pretty weird so I guess that surprises people!

Describe your perfect day in Williamsburg:

My perfect day would start with doing Pilates in the morning and then sitting outside in the sun, reading in my hammock. I would then get together with some friends and go for a walk through CW. We’d get a sandwich from the Cheese Shop, bring it to Matoaka Amphitheater and have a picnic! I’d end the day canoeing on Lake Matoaka and then laying out on the amphitheater grass to stargaze.  

What is your favorite part about being a member of United Against Inequities in Disease?

I love how I leave every meeting learning something new! I think it is a great combination of addressing local health needs and learning about national and international issues.

What is your favorite UAID memory?

Oh there are so many! I think my favorite memory was just recently created when I went to Shalom Farms a few weeks ago with three other UAID members. Shalom Farms is a really awesome sustainable resource that provides healthy foods at a low cost to the Richmond community. We woke up early and jammed out to some tunes as we drove to the farm. We then spent the day working at the farm, digging up potatoes and carrots! It was a wonderful hands-on experience that I am so lucky to have shared with some members of UAID.

What is your favorite thing about William and Mary?

I love the passion I experience with each person I meet at the College. I think William & Mary has some of the most interesting, caring, invested, and supportive people I’ve ever met – I am always blown away by my peers and they are truly what make W&M so incredible.

What is one piece of advice you have for freshmen (or anyone)?

Take risks, go on adventures, and don’t let doubt cloud your way.

If you were President of the College for a day, what would you do?

I would convert the Sunken Gardens to a goat pasture. Goat petting would be accessible to all students at all times.

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.