You Know You Have an 8 A.M. Class When

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Going to college means that you’re a big kid, and being a big kid sometimes means missing the class registration deadline and being stuck with early classes starting your day and taking morning classes… even if those classes start before you’re fully awake!

So, if you’ve ever had an 8 a.m. class, you can definitely relate to these things and know exactly what it feels like to sleepwalk through campus before your first class.

You know you have an 8 a.m. when…

It’s too early to eat. Too early to eat?! Who would have thought there was such a thing as to not be hungry! Half the time I think my stomach is a bottomless pit—so it’s really saying a lot to not be hungry.

You don’t change your clothes in the morning. Let’s be honest—it’s pajama day everyday around here and I’m not even slightly ashamed about it. Sometimes it’s a little bit too hard to put on a fresh outfit (and by that I mean a clean pair of Norts and a tee-shirt). Take my word—it’s just an easier battle to fight if I spray some perfume on and be on my way.

Your RBF is a real thing. If you say you don’t know what RBF is, you’re either a rare breed of girl who actually has never had RBF, or you’re lying. When my 8 a.m. rolls around, beware because my RBF is all too real. 

One cup of coffee isn’t enough. Okay so maybe I’m a bit immune to the glorious wonders of caffeine at this point and maybe one cup of coffee is never really enough—but you know what I mean. My daily equation? Drink 1 cup of coffee for every hour of sleep you get.

You forget your books/notebooks. That’s okay, my eyes aren’t ready for the day, and so neither is my writing hand [or my brain] so I guess I’ll just take mental notes today. And by “mental notes” I mean, “let me just think about the cutie waiting for me back at my dorm—A.K.A my bed.”

You don’t remember the walk to class. Actually, now that I think of it, I don’t remember waking up…or turning my alarm off…or putting my contacts in…or walking to class…or…

You press snooze so many times that the only thing you have time for is a tardy mark. There is a love/hate relationship with the iPhone snooze button. Need I say more?

When you suddenly feel alive and awake and have the strangest burst of adrenaline and you run the heck back to bed. Whoever said naps are for children has never met a college student with a college class before the sunrise.

Get some sleep, collegiettes—it’ll make tomorrow’s 8 a.m. class a little less brutal. 

Emily Murphy has been with Her Campus Media since 2018, and is currently the Branded Content Associate. She was the Campus Correspondent and Editor/President at her chapter at Winthrop University for four years, but has had a passion for all things writing since she was young. When she's not scribbling ideas down for her next branded article, she's watching reruns of Seinfeld while scrolling Pinterest for apartment inspo. Follow her on Instagram at @emilysmurfy