Sarah Gulledge: 2015-2016 Delta Zeta President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Name: Sarah Gulledge

Year: Junior

Major/Minor: Psychology/Biology

Hometown: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

What brought you to Winthrop? 

I originally went to Coker to play lacrosse but I didn’t like it. Jeannie (one of my DZ sisters) told me to come to Winthrop to tour and I really liked it. I also already had friends here so that was a bonus.

Why did you want to join Greek life?

My older sister was Greek so I watched her experiences and that made me want to go Greek. I wanted to have the connections that she was making and the opportunities that she was given.

When did you know that you found your home in Delta Zeta?

It was just a gut feeling. I felt comfortable around them and like I could just be myself. I didn’t have to impress anyone.

What goals do you have for DZ while you’re president?

My goal would be to lead Delta Zeta to bigger and better things and I want to make DZ bigger and better. I want to keep improving our chapter to make it the best that it can be.

What other leadership positions have you held in DZ?

Assistant to philanthropy, Circle of Sisterhood chair, Philanthropy chairman, House manager

What else are you involved in on campus?

I’m a peear mentor and a student marshal for graduation. I also have an off campus job nannying two boys with autism. 

Where do you see yourself after graduation?

I want to get my master’s in occupational therapy and eventually I want to work with children with disabilities.

What’s the best part about being in a sorority?

You always have people there for you at your worst times and your best times. They’re my family away from home; I have a family connection with my sisters like I do with my biological family at home. It’s helped me grow as a person and made me more confident in myself. It’s brought me out of my shell. 

What advice do you have for girls who want to go through recruitment?

Keep an open mind and be yourself. Remember that everything happens for a reason.

What hopes do you have for the rest of your time at Winthrop?

I want to continue being involved in DZ and other campus activities. 

All photos courtesy of Gulledge’s facebook page

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.