Motivational Monday: Marilyn Monroe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

For everyone that does not know much about Marilyn Monroe, you should!

Several people know of Marilyn as that girl that was a sex symbol around the 1950’s–which is fairly true, but that is not the only significant quality of Monroe. She was an ambitious actress and model and she coined many inspirational quotes seen all over the world today. I mean, she is still famous more than 50 years after her death with her face being plastered all over posters, calendars, T-shirts and more, selling out at stores every day. 

Marilyn made it her mission to become a famous actress. She went from living in out of orphanages to staying with her mother who was later diagnosed with a mental illness and was not able to be in her life anymore. Monroe started out modeling and then landed small parts in low budget films. Monroe took this as an opportunity to learn more about acting. She later went on to landing several very small roles in big films. Marilyn just kept climbing the latter of success until she became a big time actress in the mid 1950’s. She started out very small and never lost track of who she was and who she wanted to be and ended up on the top.

There are thousands and thousands of words that can be spoken about Monroe’s life, legacy, and success. What it comes down to is that Marilyn was a normal person with dreams just like all of us. She took every opportunity presented to her no matter what the outcome may have been and no matter what other people thought of her. All of these ambitious, strong and motivating qualities are what makes her the perfect icon and role model for ambitious woman all around the world.

So, follow Marilyn Monroe’s famous quote, and start to live before you get too old; afterall, as Monore said, “Fear is stupid, so are regrets.”

Have an amazing week, Collegiettes!

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.