Her Story: My First Time Getting Tested for STDs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

As a sexually active college girl, it’s a little frightening to think about going to get tested for HIV/STDs.

I’ve thought about going before but I was always too scared to actually go. I was scared that the nurses at the clinic would judge me, scared that I would get back results that I didn’t like and scared that people would find out and think of me in a negative light. I practice safe sex but there’s still always the chance of getting something and that chance is what has kept me from going. I always thought that because I haven’t had any symptoms, why should I go?

Recently, I met someone and we had a conversation about sex. He had been tested before and I had not, but he also had unprotected sex so we decided to use condoms just in case. The topic came up later and we decided it would be a good idea to go get tested together since our relationship was headed in a more serious direction. This was the first guy I started to have serious feelings for so I decided my feelings for him were more important than the fear I had before.

There is a clinic in Rock Hill that a friend told me about so I decided to look it up.

It is called Affinity Health Center and is less than 10 minutes away from campus. They offer free HIV, Hepatitis C and STD testing as well as pregnancy testing. Online, it says an appointment is not necessary and walk ins are welcome. I thought that this sounded too easy so I called. I asked the receptionist for more information and she said to just come in, that I needed no additional insurance information or anything.

So we went. We were given separate numbers and told to wait until someone came to get us. We could not go back together, but I was fine with that. I thought I was going to be more nervous but I think since my guy was there and we were conversing like usual, everything was okay.

About 10 minutes after we arrived, someone called his number first and mine was called shortly after. I went back and had to sign some paperwork and answer some questions about my sex life. After that, I was taken to get blood which was the scariest part for me because, like most people, I’m so scared of needles. 

Afterward, I was taken back into an office where I was to wait for my results. No more than 10 minutes later the results were in. I was HIV free! The person that handled my case helped a lot with my nerves. We talked about travel, our boyfriends and more.

Much to my surprise, everyone in the center was so nice and not judgmental at all. 

All of the fear I had before was for nothing. I thought I would feel bad after getting tested because everyone would give me weird looks but that was not the case at all! Upon leaving, my guy and I were given smiles and good afternoon greetings. The complete opposite of what I had imagined for so long.

Moral of the story is, if you are sexually active, then you should get tested.

It is not a scary experience and there are people who will help you through every step of the way!

So, get tested, use protection and stay safe Collegiettes!

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.