I’m Dreaming of a Grey Christmas

It is finally time to break out those fuzzy boots, blanket scarves, and puffy parkas because winter has arrived! Some of us choose to keep warm during the wintertime by drinking hot cocoa or sitting by a fire; but for me, I prefer to read steamy novels.

Fifty Shades of Grey is, by far, one of the most talked about books known to this generation. Whether it be its domineering protagonist or its irresistible plotline, there are no safe words to keep you from stopping yourself with every kink and turn of the page.

In honor of winter break soon approaching the students of Winona State, here are some of my favorite quotes from the first FSOG novel that will surely make you blush and warm you up.

(10)  “You sound like a control freak.” The words are out of my mouth before I can stop them.

“Oh, I exercise control in all things, Miss Steele,” he says without a trace of humor in his smile.

(15)  “...I’m not sure I’d fit in here.” Oh no. I’m musing out loud again.

“Why do you say that?” He tilts his head to one side, intrigued, a hint of a smile playing on his lips.

“It’s obvious, isn’t it?” I’m uncoordinated, scruffy, and I’m not blonde.

“Not to me.” His gaze is intense, all humor gone, and strange muscles deep in my belly clench suddenly.

(24)  Then, for some reason, I glance up… and find myself locked in the bold gray gaze of Christian Grey, who’s standing at the counter, staring at me.

Heart failure.

(27)  Our fingers brush very briefly, and the current is there again, zapping through me like I’ve touched an exposed wire. I gasp involuntarily as I feel it all the way down to somewhere dark and unexplored, deep in my belly. Desperately, I scrabble around for my equilibrium.

“Anything else?” My voice is husky and breathy. His eyes widen slightly.

“Some rope, I think.” His voice mirrors mine, husky.

(47)  His lips quirk up in a half smile, and he peers down at me.

“No, Anastasia. I don’t do the girlfriend thing,” he says softly.

(48)  His thumb brushes my lower lip, and his breath hitches. He’s staring into my eyes, and I hold his anxious, burning gaze for a moment, or maybe it’s forever… but eventually, my attention is drawn to his beautiful mouth. And for the first time in twenty-one years, I want to be kissed. I want to feel his mouth on mine.

(67)  “You’re lucky I’m just scolding you.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, if you were mine, you wouldn’t be able to sit down for a week after the stunt you pulled yesterday.”

(68)  “You are quite the disciplinarian,” I hiss.

“Oh, Anastasia, you have no idea.”

(78)  His head turns fractionally toward me, his eyes darkest slate. I bite my lip.

“Oh, f*ck the paperwork,” he growls.

(96)  “Does this mean you’re going to make love to me tonight, Christian?” Holy sh*t. Did I just say that? His mouth drops open slightly, but he recovers quickly.

“No, Anastasia, it doesn’t. First, I don’t make love. I f*ck...hard.”

(110)  “You’re biting your lip.” His voice is husky, and he’s eyeing me speculatively.

“Sorry.”

“Don’t apologize. It’s just that I want to bite it, too, hard.”

(114)  “Oh, Ana, what I could do to you,” he whispers.

(121)  “I want you sore, baby,” he murmurs… “Every time you move tomorrow, I want you to be reminded that I’ve been here. Only me. You are mine.”

(126)  Honestly, fancy falling for a man who’s beyond beautiful, richer than Croesus, and has a Red Room of Pain waiting for me.

(132)  “I’ve never had vanilla sex before. There’s a lot to be said for it. But then, maybe it’s because it’s with you.” He runs his thumb across my lower lip.

(137)  He’s my very own Christian Grey-flavored popsicle.

(153)  “What’s vanilla sex?” I ask, if anything to distract myself from the intense, burning, sexy look he’s giving me. He laughs.

“Just straightforward sex, Anastasia. No toys, no add-ons.” He shrugs…

“Oh.” I thought it was chocolate fudge brownie sex that we had, with a cherry on top. But hey, what do I know?

(190)  “So, it was nice knowing me?”

(191)  “I don’t remember reading about nipple clamps in the Bible. Perhaps you were taught from a modern translation.”

(223)  What? Ah yes, the no masturbation clause.

“Out of curiosity… why?”

“Because I want all your pleasure.” His voice is husky but determined.

(240)  “Are you ashamed of me?”

“No!” It’s my turn to sound exasperated. “Introduce you to my dad as what? ‘This is the man who deflowered me and wants us to start a BDSM relationship’? You’re not wearing running shoes.”

(245)  I gasp, and I’m Eve in the Garden of Eden, and he’s the serpent, and I cannot resist.

(266)  Holy Moses, he’s all mine to play with, and suddenly it’s Christmas.

(313)  “I’m so glad you’re here,” he whispers. “I can’t wait to get you naked.”

(329)  “I’d say you’re thoroughly f*cked and in need of sleep.”

(357)  I raise my eyebrows. “You’re going to settle for plain old vanilla?”

He cocks his head to one side. “Nothing plain or old about vanilla—it’s a very intriguing flavor,” he breathes.

(371)  “You’ve really got a taste for this, haven’t you, Miss Steele? You’re becoming insatiable,” he murmurs.

“I’ve only got a taste for you,” I whisper.

(372)  “What the hell are you doing to me?” he breathes as he nuzzles my neck. “You completely beguile me, Ana. You weave some powerful magic.”

He releases my wrists, and I run my fingers through his hair, coming down from my high. I tighten my legs around him.

“I’m the one beguiled,” I whisper.

(459-460)  Why do I want to spend every single minute with this controlling sex god? Oh yes, I’ve fallen in love with him, and he can fly.

(471)  “Darling, you know what they say. You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince.”

I give her a lopsided, bittersweet smile.

“I think I’ve kissed a prince, Mom. I hope he doesn’t turn into a frog.”

(502)  “You certainly know how to distract a man, Anastasia.”

“We aim to please, Mr. Grey. Distract you from what?”

“Life. The universe.” He waves one of his hands vaguely.

Give in to some self-indulgence this winter break with Fifty Shades of Grey—order the trilogy today from Barnes and Noble, Amazon, and Target… P.S. remember your safe word!

Pictures: