Confucius Says: 3 Times My Fortune Cookies Got It Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

In life, there are few things we’re able to count on, like poor weather the day of an important event or a bad acne breakout right before getting your picture taken. But another thing we can count on are impersonable Chinese fortune cookie fortunes.

Although we usually find ourselves squinting at the small slip of paper asking ourselves “How in the does apply to my life?”, here are three times when my past Chinese fortunes actually got it right.

periwinkle manicure on short nails
Photo by Kristina Paukshtite from Pexels
1. “Focus on the color purple this week to bring you luck.”

I received this first edible message back in September of 2017, my senior year in high school. I was waiting to hear back about my admission to the none-other-than Winona State University, and I was both excited and nervous. 

It was the only college I’d had my eyes on since I was a freshman and it was also the only college I applied to. A risky move.

Fortunately for me, I received a letter in the mail at the end of that week announcing my acceptance into my dream school… one of whose colors happens to be purple!

marble and pink notebook
Plush Design Studio
2. “Your heart will always make itself known through your words.”

I unwrapped this second fortune sometime in July of 2018, and boy was it spot on! As a freshman in college, I’ve grown so much as a writer and a young woman because I dove head-first into crafting weekly articles in the university club Her Campus

I’ve begun to write about things that I would have otherwise bottled up, and I’m so grateful for the relief it gives me when I find the courage to share these ideas with others who share my passion for writing. Of course, I’m also grateful for the wonderful friendships I’ve made through the club, too!

bullet journal
Estée Janssens
3. “Be prepared to modify your plan. It’ll be good for you!”

I came across this final message last month during my weekly Monday night Panda Express treat. One of my professors recently said I should consider switching my major from biology to chemistry because it may be a better fit for my desired profession in forensic toxicology. I’d been contemplating whether the change would be good for me and if it was something I wanted to do, so to say I was confused would be the understatement of the year.

After a lot of thinking, though, I decided to declare a new major in chemistry for the upcoming school year and I couldn’t be more excited for what’s to come.

glass orb and city
Anika Huizinga
Before you poo-poo fortune cookies, the next time you find yourself in line at Panda or a sit-down Chinese restaurant, give it a try and read your fortune—you never know when they just might come true!

| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.
I love exploring the outdoors, writing, whales, and have a major sweet tooth for cheesecake! Volleyball and hockey are my favorite sports to play and watch. When it comes to writing, I love it. I truly enjoy being able to write articles and stories about topics people would enjoy reading.