This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Hugging: we do it when we’re at our happiest and when we see someone we care about; when a person near us is sad or upset and needs to be comforted; we may even do it when we ourselves are desperate for a good squeeze.

Most of all, though, hugs are what we tend to rely on when words inevitably fail us. But for an action that’s so easy for us to do, have you ever wondered what exactly goes on within us when we hug another person?

In honor of National Hugging Day this Jan. 21, check out these five physiological benefits of showing the love.

Dylan Nolte
Dylan Nolte / Unsplash
1.  What pain?

When it comes to pain, some of us may have a very high tolerance and some of us may have a very low tolerance—I like to believe I’m in the middle. Regardless of what your pain limit actually is, there might come a time when something hurts more than you can handle.

Getting a hug during a moment like that can ultimately release endorphins, hormones that provide pain relief by blocking pain pathways. These chemicals can also soothe aches by increasing the circulation of blood and oxygen to soft tissue.

Whoever started the mantra “no pain, no gain” may be in need of a hug or two!

Orange Slice
Ellen Gibbs / Spoon
2.  The immune system gets a boost

Usually when we’re sick, the last thing any of us want is to be touched by another person, let alone be hugged. Little did you know, though, that hugging can very well prevent us from getting sick altogether. 

When we get overwhelmed in a situation, the “stress hormone” cortisol circulates through our bodies. Let’s not forget that stress can, occasionally, be a good thing—too much of it, however, can inhibit the immune system from doing its job: keeping us healthy.

Hugging, on the other hand, can reverse the ramifications that cortisol has on the immune system, as well as increase hormone levels that regulate immune cell function… I like the sound of those side effects!

A photo of scrabble words assembled to spell \"anxiety\"
uploaded to Pixabay by Wokandapix
3.  Psychological fears are alleviated

Whether you’re afraid of clowns or public speaking, of heights or spiders, most of us on the planet share a common fear of dying.

However, hugging someone or even an inanimate object—like a teddy bear—can release numerous brain chemicals that not only promote positive emotions, but also can reduce whatever anxiety that comes with the thought of our deepest fears.

hawaii girl happy biking fun peace
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
4.  Emotionally-positive brain chemicals are released

If you’re still skeptical of the power in hugging, this next one might throw you for a doozy: one hug alone can release three feel-good chemicals in our brains.

• The first is oxytocin, a neurotransmitter that targets the brain’s emotional center and reduces anxiety and stress by promoting feelings of contentment. Additionally, increased levels of oxytocin can strengthen a person’s social bonds.
  • The second chemical released is dopamine, a hormone associated with pleasure and part of the brain’s reward center.
  • And finally, the third chemical released is serotonin, a hormone not only associated with mood balance maintenance, but also a person’s self-esteem.

Long story short, these three brain chemicals are responsible for lowering our stress (bye bye, cortisol), helping us feel closer with one another, and elevating our mood!

person doing heart hand sign
Pixabay via Pexels
5.  Legit heart protection

Hugs can make us feel good in our brains as well as in our hearts.

When we get pulled in for an embrace, there’s a wide range of beneficial cardiac-related things happening, such as a decrease in both heart rate and blood pressure. What’s even better is that hugging improves our overall heart health with a lowered chance of developing cardiac illness.

Talk about wearing your heart on your sleeve!

smiling woman in pink sweater
Freshh Connection
Just remember, when the moment comes and you can’t find the right words to say, give the person-in-need a really good hug—go on, show the love!

Sources: 12

| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.
I love exploring the outdoors, writing, whales, and have a major sweet tooth for cheesecake! Volleyball and hockey are my favorite sports to play and watch. When it comes to writing, I love it. I truly enjoy being able to write articles and stories about topics people would enjoy reading.