2018 in HD: 8 New Year’s Resolutions for Me & You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Whenever a new year rolls around, most of us write a long list of things we’ve been meaning to try or do but have never gotten the courage or had the time to do so. This list almost always consists of one-time wishes, such as “get a tattoo” or “make an epic pillow fort,” versus long-term accomplishments in-the-making

If you haven’t been able to complete your previous year’s list or if you were too stumped to write one for this New Year, look no further. Here are eight of my own 2018 resolutions that can easily be yours, too.

Summer Sparklers Fireworks Bonfire
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
1.  Don’t repeat the past

This first one is for all the girls who tend to retrace moves that didn’t work out too well initially.

If you usually crammed for exams the night before and didn’t get the grades you wanted, don’t procrastinate. If you usually told small fibs to avoid confrontation with your roommates or besties and found yourself in the center of countless drama blowouts, don’t lie about how you feel. If you usually succumbed to the belief that your ex would change for sure this time after giving them just one more chance and they ended up disappointing you all over again, for the love of God, don’t give them the satisfaction of breaking your heart anymore.

Moral of the story: if something (or someone) didn’t play out right the first time, chances are it (they) won’t a second or third time, either. This resolution is at the very top because it marks the epitome of the “New Me” mantra everyone annually swears by. Don’t waste 2018 by spending your time doing things the old you already did.

2.  Don’t treat your body as anything other than a temple

We’ve all been there: we’ve done things we aren’t necessarily proud of and some of which, maybe, were the least bit good for our bodies.

Regardless if you’ve been meaning to cleanse yourself from your rhythm of staying out late and drinking, doing drugs, having unprotected sex, eating unhealthily, or even biting your fingernails, look no further than this second establishment.

Make sure to not only think of yourself and your body as a temple, but also believe it!

a woman sits on the edge of a deck overlooking the forest
Chris Ainsworth | Unsplash
3.  Don’t waste your time pining over mistakes you’ve made

I’ve been guilty of doing this more times than I have digits to count them on, so believe me when I say I completely understand how easy it is to fall into a hole and ask yourself the “Why did I do that?” or “How could I be so stupid?” questions after making an error.

The fact of the matter is, while it’s important to reflect on why the decision you made wasn’t the wisest, it’s equally important to remember that you’d be making an even bigger mistake if you sacrificed your time by thinking about what you could’ve done then versus what you could do now.

Let’s also not forget, big or small, we all make mistakescut yourself some slack!

4.  Don’t allow others to cause the demise of your happiness

They were there in elementary school, even junior and senior high, and they’re still with us today in the world of adulting in college: toxic people.

Regardless of who they are in your life, don’t ever let another person make you feel anything other than incredible because the space you occupy is just as important as theirs. It won’t be easy, of course, but get rid of the toxic people in your life because you deserve to be surrounded by people who support you, not bring you down. 

Sleepy girl in bed
Photo by Kinga Cichewicz on Unsplash
5.  Don’t get lazy over the things you actually care about

Whether the center of your universe consists of you watching every episode of a weekly TV show or earning a 3.5 GPA this semester, find a source of motivation to help you fully commit yourself to whatever in your life you find the most important.

The moment you put the things you really care about first is when you continue to grow as an individual who can independently harvest their passions.

6.  Don’t try to love another person before you love yourself

You’ve likely been told this many times, so it pretty much goes without saying: to be loved by another person is a dream, but to be able to love oneself is the ultimate dream.

Date yourself for awhile before looking around for any suitors. There’s nothing wrong with being single, people, and remember all the things about you that make you such a catch!

white pills placed on pink backdrop
Photo by Anna Shvets from Unsplash
7.  Don’t forget about your morals and priorities in life

College is inarguably the time for us to find ourselves because we’re introduced to a lot of new people and environments.

Although it may be tempting to join any group in whatever they’re doing, always remember the things you never want to give up, especially sobriety or abstinence. Only you can take charge of the moments that complicate your morals and only you can prioritize being who you are.

8.  Don’t ever take your eyes off the road

This last establishment can have a literal meaning, but more so a metaphorical one: 2018 is the year to take advantage of every opportunity you’re granted. It sounds a little cliché, I know, but it’s true. Never take your eyes off the road“the prize” or whatever it is that you really wantand never spend a single second of your time looking back.

Always move forward.

Averie Woodard
Feel free to add these meaningful resolutions to your own list and be ready to make 2018 your best year yet!

| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.
Hi I'm Emily and I'm from Appleton, Wisconsin! I'm a Mass Communication- Advertising student, with a minor in Art History at WSU. I like concerts, hockey, cooking, and dancing in the car. I also enjoy guacamole, french fries, and caramel iced coffees from Dunkin' Donuts. All I really want to do is travel the world, move to a big city, and spend my weekends on a lake. IG & Twitter @esheptoski