Don’t Waste the Last Week of Winter Study! Things to do, see, and eat around Williams.

As Winter Study approaches its end, you might be thinking what I’ve heard many say over these past few days: what did I do with all of my free time? Whether you’ve spent it wisely, or perhaps on a few more new Netflix shows than you would have liked, don’t fret! There’s still time to put your free time to good use. Here are just 5 ways to make the most of your time before Dead Week hits.

1. Visit MASS MoCA

You’ve probably seen pictures of someone posing amongst hundreds of glimmering wind spinners, but have you seen it in person? If you’ve never been to MASS MoCA, now is the perfect time to go––Nick Cave’s Until is just one of many incredible exhibitions currently on display. Though it’s a bit of a drive, it’s free for Williams students and a great way to spend an afternoon. Make sure to see Sarah Crowner’s Beetle in the Leaves, which is only on display until February 12th!

2. Watch Winter Sports

Swimming & Diving, Squash, Ice Hockey, Basketball, Track, Wrestling, ––if you’ve yet to see one of these teams play, now’s the time! Grab a group of friends, cheer on Williams, and perhaps learn a few new things about the sport. Upcoming events include:

Men’s Ice Hockey vs. Bowdoin, January 20th at 7PM

Women’s Basketball vs. Hamilton, January 20th at 7PM

Men’s Basketball vs. Middlebury, January 22nd at 2PM

Women’s Squash vs. Brown, January 24th at 4PM

Women’s Ice Hockey vs. Amherst, January 27th at 7PM

For a full list of events, check out this calendar.

3. Go to Trivia Night!

Held every Thursday night at 8PM, Trivia Night at the Log is always a blast. Each team can have up to six people, it’s free to play, and the winning team always receives a substantial prize (ex. $50 gift card to the Log, $100 to Spring Street Market). Though you’re not obligated to order food, Williams students get a 30% discount… and the onion rings are totally worth it. If you miss the Log’s last Trivia Night of Winter Study on the 26th, you can still go any Thursday night during the Spring semester.

4. Watch a Film at Images

Missing the movies? For only $6, Williams students can view a movie at Images, which recently celebrated its 100th anniversary. Additionally, volunteering at the concession stand for about 30 minutes will get you a free ticket. Currently being show is Lion, a drama directed by Garth Davis. Catch it before it closes on the 26th, or wait until the 27th to see Jackie. Check here for a full list of showtimes.

5. Go Out for Dinner

Odds are, you’re pretty sick of dining hall food by now. If you have a car, it’s a good idea to venture out into North Adams (or beyond) to mix it up. Some student favorites include PUBLIC (featuring an excellent cheese plate), Brewhaha (if you’re up for breakfast), or Desperados (if you’re craving Mexican). If you can’t leave Williamstown, try the newly named Blue Mango (formerly Sushi Thai) or Pera if you’re looking to branch out into something a little nicer.