Back To Basics: Removing Lip Color

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

Image Credits: Refinery29.com

If you wear lipstick half as often as I do (at least three times a week) and are a fan of highly pigmented colors, you know the daunting task of removing it at a day’s end. It can be difficult to find products that both wipe away your lip color in a flash and don’t dry out your lips, but it’s not impossible! Here are a few methods that I’ve been using over the past few months that get the job done without breaking the bank.

• Coconut oil: This was one of the first methods I tried when I began searching for natural products to remove lipstick with. I imagine it would be hard to use when the oil is solid, but when it’s in its liquid state, the best technique is to just pour a small amount onto a pad of dry tissue (not a makeup remover wipe) and wipe in circular motions around the mouth. Coconut oil is nice to use because it’s incredibly moisturizing, but on the flip side, it’s not the best for removing heavily pigmented colors or lip products with a matte finish. 
  • Sugar scrubs: My favorite way to take off lipstick is with a sugar scrub. A little goes a long way, so you’re able to cover a lot of ground with a pea-sized amount. Exfoliating with sugar has a powerful way of picking up what would usually get left in the cracks and crevices of your lips, and some of the other ingredients found in sugar scrubs (vitamin E oil or shea butter, for instance) moisturize, too. You could pick up a scrub in a place like Ulta, but if you’re feeling up to it, you could also attempt to make your own with things around the kitchen like brown sugar, honey, and coconut oil!
  • BYOP: If neither of these works out for you, searching the market to Buy Your Own Product specifically made for removing lip color is a perfectly reasonable quest. They may be just a tad pricier than coconut oil or sugar scrubs, but tend to erase color in a flash. Maybelline’s Superaway Lip Color Remover is gentle and even capable of removing lipstains, and Sephora recently released their Ultimate Oil-in-Gel Lipstick Remover. 

I used to be a huge fan of just wiping off my lipstick with a wet tissue, but when I tried some of these other methods, I discovered that they were much more nurturing for my lips and gave me the added bonus of an overnight prep for the next day! So how do you return to a bare mouth? Share your tips and tricks below!

Cinnamon is a junior at Williams College where she is an American Studies major, an Africana Studies minor, and a Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellow. A lover of lipstick and foundation fanatic, she just began writing for Williams' HerCampus chapter on beauty and makeup. She's especially interested in creating empowering digital spaces for Black women to celebrate and cherish their beauty. When she's not busy with her undergraduate studies and research endeavors, she's falling victim to Scandal. And now...How To Get Away With Murder...okay, basically, her Thursday nights belong to Shonda Rhimes. Follow her on Twitter @itsnotnutmeg and Instagram/Tumblr @abiddybiddybunbun.
Michella is a senior at Williams College, majoring in Political Science. When she's not reading up on political theories, you'll catch Michella singing with her a capella group on campus or helping folks out at the front desk in the science library.