Why I Started to Cut My Hair Short

You know the drill: you go to the hair salon, ask for a specific cut and end up looking like a hot mess. This is unfortunately an experience that many of us can relate to. For me, the reason why I would be upset by this experience is because my hair would get cut shorter than I initially wanted.

For a while, I was sort of turned off by the idea of short hair. This was not just because of poor hair salon experiences, but because I also thought that long hair was more feminine or pretty. Even though I thought this, I didn’t really like long hair on myself. I used to straighten my hair every single day and it was super dead. My hair is a little bit wavy but can also be straight when it wants to be, so I never knew what to do with it.

Interestingly enough, I used to like seeing short hair on other girls, but I never thought I would do it myself. That was until one day when I was pretty frustrated about something unrelated and just wanted to do something bold. So, I chopped off a few inches of my hair.

It’s so funny to think that this had such an impact on me at the time, as now I cut my hair way shorter than I did at that time every few months. In that moment, it was so liberating. I remember reading something that said your hair can sometimes weigh you down and after cutting it myself for the first time, I realized that this definitely aligned with me. 

After more time passed, my hair grew out again, and the next time I cut it was more out of boredom and my want to change up my look a little bit. Then, the time came when I thought that I wanted to go even shorter. I had been looking up different hair looks and started to get inspired. I decided that I wanted to have my hair at my shoulders after having it around my middle chest to ribs area. This was a style that I used to admire on so many different people but never had the guts to do myself. Then, I finally did it! I went to the salon and got my hair cut; frankly, I wanted it to be even shorter. I let that hair grow and then cut my own hair to the length I wanted. After playing around with the lengths of my hair, I finally know which hair lengths I like the most and which suit me the best.

Even my friends who like long hair or prefer it for themselves think that short hair suits me best, and I have to agree. But the more important part than the physical look of it is how I feel about my hair. I love it! Now as a frequent haircutter, I don’t exactly get a liberating or life-changing feeling like I did the first few times, but I do think about how a few years ago I would have never done this at all. For me, the switch to short hair not only had me feeling more confident, but it also saved my hair’s quality. I no longer straighten my hair every day because I like the way it looks when it’s short. I have even gone to events after simply washing my hair and letting it dry. Again, this may not sound like a big deal, but for me, it was huge! 

I definitely still have my fair share of days where I am frustrated with my hair and want to chop it all off (part of me feels like I could rock a buzzcut). However, I am overall happy that I stopped trying to fit in with what other people were doing and do what I wanted! So, if you’re thinking about cutting your hair shorter than you normally do, or even trying out something that is out of your comfort zone, take this as a sign from the universe to do it! You never know how much you might end up liking it and the impact it can have on the quality of your life.