AHC101a 0222r?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
AHC101a 0222r?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
The CW
Life > Experiences

Tips for Preparing to Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Preparing to study abroad can be really stressful and overwhelming. It feels like there’s an endless list of things to do, and it can be hard to figure out what you should do to prepare for the adventure that you’re about to embark on. I’ve been there, so here is a list of some things that I found helpful when preparing to study abroad.

Start planning early

Whether it’s a visa you may need to apply for or even just planning everything that you’re going to pack, start early! Make sure you look into all the visa requirements for where you plan on studying (and all the places you may plan on visiting while you’re there)! I had a really difficult time trying to get my visa for coming to France. That was partial because my host school was taking a very long time to send me the documents that I needed to submit, but also because most of the time slots for applying for a visa were completely booked up! So, make sure you start looking into everything and have all your documents prepared so that you’re ready to go and you don’t need to feel as much stress!

I also found it really helpful to start planning what I wanted to pack (and packing itself) quite early. Every time I thought of something that I definitely wanted to bring I added it to a list on the notes app on my phone. That way when it came to actually pack, I was able to check my list and grab everything that I didn’t want to forget! I started to actually pack my bag just over a month before I was supposed to leave. Little by little I’d add some things and then each time I’d go through everything I had packed, I’d take out the few things that I added that just weren’t necessary! Plus, it saved me from last-minute-panic packing and shoving in whatever would fit because I’ve definitely done that more than once in my life!

Research the area where you’re studying/staying

This seems like a bit of an obvious one but you can never do too much research! I spent a lot of time on Google Maps going up and down the streets surrounding my apartment in France and around the school. It helped me figure out where I could go and get groceries and just become more familiar with what was around me. On my first day in my new city, it made me feel a bit more comfortable because I somewhat knew my surroundings. It’s also good to research the city that you’re staying in and the cities nearby so that you can start to plan all the fun things you can go and do when you’ve got time off!

Make a budget

Studying abroad can be quite expensive so make sure you create a budget to make sure that you don’t run out of money within your first few months! Also, make sure that you set aside some money just in case of any emergencies. You never know what could happen and it’s always better to be safe than sorry! While talking about money, also make sure you take out some cash in whatever currency your exchange country takes. There have often been times when some places will only accept cash or their machines aren’t working so make sure you take out some cash just in case!

Learn the language

If you’re not very familiar with the first language of the country that you’re going to study in, it’s definitely a good idea to try and learn at least a few basic phrases for when you get there! While in most countries there are many people who speak English, there are also a lot that doesn’t, so make sure you know all the important phrases like what your allergies are, asking if they speak English and of course how to order a drink at the bar!

Pack only the basics

Packing for several months is quite scary, it’s hard to know exactly what you’ll need and what you’ll want to wear while you’re gone. I tried to pack a sort of capsule wardrobe and only brought things that could be worn with multiple other outfits. Although, I of course made a few exceptions for some of my absolute favourite clothing pieces. Now that I’m here, I’ve realized that I could’ve done a much better job at packing than I did. There are still some clothing items that I haven’t even worn yet and it’s been over three months! So, make sure that you pack things that you will definitely wear and items that go with everything!

Make a plan with loved ones at home

One of the hardest parts about leaving to study abroad is leaving all your loved ones behind. It can be really difficult and it’s very easy to get homesick. This is why it’s important to establish some sort of plan with those you care about to figure out the best way for you to keep in touch and the best time to call. I FaceTime with my family every Sunday around the exact same time and we planned it before I even came here! That way we have a set day and time and know that we will at least be able to FaceTime once a week if not more. It’s important to come up with these plans and see a sort of schedule to help you with missing home.

Enjoy!

The lead-up to going on an exchange can be really overwhelming and stressful. I had many times where I seriously questioned what I was doing and if I was making the wrong decision, but I can confidently say that studying abroad is truly one of the best experiences of my life! I am so glad that I took a risk and stepped outside of my comfort zone and decided to come here. The experiences that you’ll have and all the memories that you’ll make seriously outweigh all the stress that you may feel as you start preparing to study abroad. Just remember that it’s all worth it!

I hope this list helps you with planning your exchange or even encourages you to consider studying abroad in the first place!

Kylie Squire

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Kylie is a 4th year student at WLU studying French with a minor in History. When she’s not busy studying, she loves to read, write, daydream about travelling the world and listen to One Direction on repeat.