This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Tofu is kind of having a moment right now. With the vegan lifestyle being advertised left and right, it’s pretty unavoidable. And if you aren’t vegan, it can also be pretty annoying. Why should you care about tofu if you could have steak and bacon instead? Why in the world would you opt to have tofu, when it’s mushy and bland and not at all comparable to meat?

Recently, I’ve been challenging myself to explore the world of tofu and it has blown my mind. As a non-vegan who used to be very stuck-up about my dislike of tofu, I can honestly say it’s one of my favourite proteins to have in a meal now. When prepared correctly, it’s actually quite delicious! The problem is that too many people are stuck in the mindset of tofu being a gross wannabe replacement for meat and are scared to experiment with it. If more people just dared to take the risk and give it a fair shot, I think they’d be surprised!

Tofu is wonderful because it’s versatile. It doesn’t have a strong flavour on its own but does really well soaking in the flavour from a marinade; thanks to this, it’s compatible in a number of different dishes. Today I’m going to share my favourite tofu recipe: a crispy sweet teriyaki tofu. Hopefully, it’ll have you feeling inspired to give tofu the chance it deserves!

Crispy Sweet Teriyaki Tofu

You will need:

– 350 g extra firm tofu

– 1/4 cup soy sauce

– 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave nectar

– 1 tsp lemon juice

– 1 tsp garlic powder

– 1 pinch ground ginger

– 1 tsp olive oil

How to make it:

1. Wrap the tofu in a paper towel and press it with a heavy object, like a frying pan or skillet, for at least 10 minutes to remove moisture.

2. Unwrap the tofu and slice it into small cubes.

3. In a small mixing bowl, add the soy sauce, maple syrup, lemon juice, garlic powder and ginger. Mix it to a thick consistency and adjust ingredient quantities for personal taste. Reserve 2 tbsp. of the sauce.

4. Stir in the cubed tofu, ensuring that it is all evenly coated.  Let it sit at least 30 minutes to soak in the flavours from the marinade.

5. Heat a frying pan or skillet over medium heat.  Add in the oil and tofu.  Fry for 7-10 minutes, flipping the tofu occasionally to start browning on all the sides.

6. Transfer to a baking sheet and cook in the oven at 375℉ for 15 minutes, until the tofu has a crispy crust. Coat with the reserved sauce and serve.

Now you have delicious, crispy teriyaki tofu!  You can swap out the teriyaki sauce with any other marinade or seasoning too, making this recipe super customizable to your personal tastes. This is now one of my go-to meals that I have multiple times a week!

Enjoy!

Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.