Why I’m Not Excited For Fourth Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

I’m not excited for fourth year to begin, because I’m not excited for it to end.

For the past three years, as summer came to an end, it has been routine to pack up all my things and excitedly head back to London for another school year. I didn’t have a worry in the world, (except what classes I needed to take, who my professors were going to be, when my assignments were due, when my exams were, who I’m going to sit next to in class, how I would find my class, etc.)

I have one problem: this year I am just not excited.

This is the last year I get to drive on Highway 401 for two hours to get to the beloved student town I call home. This is the last year I’ll get drunk in the middle of the day to celebrate a football game I didn’t even watch. This is the last year I’ll to wait in line at The Ceeps for hours in the freezing cold. This is the last year where eating chips for dinner is perfectly acceptable. I think maybe this is the last year of true youth.

There are many milestones throughout our lives when we’re considered to be an “adult”: when we turn 16 we can drive, when we turn 18 we can vote, and when we turn 21 we can drink and gamble all over the world. However, I believe the true passage into adulthood is when school is over and “real life” begins. The nine to five, poke-my-eyeballs-out-sitting-at-a-desk-all-day kind of real life (which I don’t think anyone is excited for.)

Growing up there were always things to look forward to—from elementary school to middle school to high school, then high school to university—but now what?! What do I have to look forward to? I honestly don’t know and it scares the sh*t out of me.

That’s why I’m not excited for fourth year to begin, because I’m not ready for it to end… although I may be a little bit excited for the fun in between.