How to Stay Creative in a Consumer Society

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

We’ve all been there: it’s late, you just got home from that night class that always seems to drag on too long, and all you want to do is binge-watch the newest edgy series released on Netflix. It’s hard to remember what people even did before they had endless content and media available to stream constantly with just a few clicks.

It happened to me. Previously an avid reader and writer, throughout the past few years I have noticed myself spending less time creating and more time consuming. Whether binge-watching Netflix or spending countless minutes on social media, it’s hard to keep track of the amount of time I have spent passively taking in art rather than creating it.

If, like me, you find you have started to invest too much time in consuming media rather than focusing on hobbies or creative passions, I have compiled a few tips to help you get back on track to becoming a creative genius.

1. Take Time Away From Social Media

Social media is one of the best ways to connect with people these days. Despite this, it can be so easy to get caught up in mindlessly scrolling through Instagram or checking out Snapchat stories that you forget about living your own life. Try taking some time away from social media to be creative in your own way (whether this means practicing your photography skills or starting that artistic project you’ve been dreaming of creating). You might even find you have more interesting content to share when you get back online.

2. (Re)Discover Your Passions

The easiest way to spend more time creatively is to discover new passions and hobbies, or rediscover old ones. If you used to spend a lot of time writing or creating music but have felt too busy, try dedicating some of that Netflix time to getting back into your flow. Use all of that creative inspiration you feel when consuming your favourite shows and music and put it into your own work!

3. Join Clubs and Extracurriculars

Sometimes it can be hard to take the time to do the creative things you love. By joining clubs and extracurriculars related to your passions, you are surrounded by people that love the same things as you. This makes it a lot easier to dedicate time to doing what you love, and holds you accountable to following through on those projects you always wanted to complete.  

4. Dedicate Time Everyday to Doing Your Thang

This might be the most important one. Look at your schedule and see if you can find a time when you would usually be on social media or Netflix, and instead, see if you can dedicate that time to doing something creative you love (even if it’s only for 30 minutes!).

It can be easy to forget your creativity in a world of overwhelming media. By following these tips, you will be able to spend less time consuming and more time becoming the creative person you know you can be.