This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

To the girl that gives too much,

I am a girl like you. Someone who has a big heart and gives and gives themselves to others until there is nothing left. Someone who is constantly putting others before herself, often to her detriment. Someone whose kindness and generosity is often taken advantage of by others who offer nothing in return.

All you want to do is help people. You’re an empath and want to see people happy, no matter the cost. When someone you love is hurting, you hurt too, desperate for a solution to make their problems disappear. You’re the best friend a person can have. You’re always there for people, no matter what, and always willing to lend a hand with whatever they may need.

Some people call you a pushover or naïve but know that isn’t true. There is nothing wrong with wanting to help others, especially in today’s society where it sometimes seems like it’s every man for himself. The problem lies with the people who manipulate you for your kindness. Who leave you when they have gotten all that they can get, claiming, “well, it was just so easy to get stuff from you. How could I not?”

You often forget about yourself and your own needs, so here is your reminder: you are important. You are valued. You are not less than anyone else. Sometimes you cannot help people and you have to put yourself first, and that will be a hard lesson for you to learn.

You often feel as though what’s going on in your life isn’t as important as what’s going on in the lives of those around you. Your needs and problems are just as important as anyone else’s and you shouldn’t be afraid to reach out and talk to people about them. You are the most important person in your life, and you have no obligation to take care of anyone else’s needs but your own.

There is nothing wrong with giving. You are a kind, compassionate person and your generosity is a wonderful part of you. Just remember that there are people in this world that are not as kind as you. Be skeptical with your kindness and only give it to those who are worthy.

If you, like me, have been looking for a sign that you do not have to give as much as you do, this is it. You are kind, you are important, and you matter. Don’t be afraid to take charge of your life and put yourself first. You deserve it.

Love,

A girl that also gives too much

Alex Hawkins

Western '21

Alex is doing a master's degree in library and information science. She graduated with a BA in psychology and criminology in 2019. She previously served as co-Campus Correspondent and President of Her Campus Western. Follow her on insta @alexhawkins65.
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.