etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Reasons Why Dresses are the Best for Summertime

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

The beautiful weather has finally come, so it’s time to put away the sweaters and scarves and take out the shorts and dresses. But maybe you’ve come to realize that you need to update your summer wardrobe because a) nothing zips up, b) everything is outworn, or c) you just want some new fashion to welcome the new season. Either way, here’s a list of reasons why dresses should be on every girl’s “To Buy” or “To Wear” list for the upcoming summer:

1. They’re light and breezy

No matter how hot it is outside, you’re guaranteed to feel any breeze because a dress doesn’t have much structure to it. You can also get some dresses that are a super soft cotton, which is breathable and perfect for the hot, sticky weather.

2. They tend to sell at a cheaper price point (which is what we all need on a student budget)

Although there are some exceptions, dresses tend to be a little cheaper than shorts and tops, simply because the dress is an outfit in itself—you don’t need to buy two separate pieces of clothing. Also, so many stores have wicked deals on dresses, especially Old Navy, which is where I found my favourite dress for only $10.

3. Whatever your life situation, dresses always make you look put together

By wearing a dress, I can wake up ten minutes before needing to be somewhere and still look presentable. Dresses are just classy like that, and I don’t know how, but they always make it look as though you’ve put effort into your appearance (even if you just rolled out of bed).

4. That being said, dresses are great for every and any occasion

There are dresses for everything, whether it being a casual or fancy occasion. It all depends on the style, and of course the shoes you pair with the dress.

5. On top of being classy, they’re also comfortable

In a dress, I never have to worry about my belt digging in or the back of my shorts riding up. Everything is just free.

6. Long dresses are a girl’s best friend when you just don’t feel like shaving

Even if your legs are beginning to resemble Chewbacca, only you will know—long dresses are a classy form of disguise. Also, long dresses are perfect for windy days. You don’t want to end up looking like this:

7.  Lastly, there’s a dress for everyone

No matter your shape or size, there’s a dress out there for you—and you will look fabulous.

Chapter Advisor for Her Campus and Junior Editor/Writer for Her Campus at Western. You can typically find me in the world of English literature.
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.